Pulsed radiofrequency of ganglion impar. — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Pulsed radiofrequency of ganglion impar.

Options
jaggee
jaggee Community member Posts: 11 Listener
If you can advice me regarding the above treatment, what is the procedure, what's the recovery time, and is this a short term relief for my sublexion of the coccxy bone. and if anyone has this procedure done to them and how long relief they had.

Comments

• ClaireSaul
    ClaireSaul Community member Posts: 92 Pioneering
    Options
    Hi @jaggee

I have been away and done some research as i knew very little about this procedure, but I hope this might help.
    You probably already know the the ganglion of impar is a bundle of nerves situated at the lowest point in your coccyx or sitting bone. 
    My understanding is that it is a minimally invasive procedure that is performed as a day case for pelvic pain.  The probe is inserted using x ray or ultrasound guidance (ignore the needle in the pic above - I just used this to show the ganglion) and then the pulsed radiofrequency is delivered directly into the ganglion.

Apparently it can take about 10 - 14 days for the pain to be reduced, but the patient is usually able to go home after a couple of hours.

The figures I have found suggest there is about a 65% success rate of reducing the pain by at least 40% for 6 - 12 months!!  Lots of if and buts in those figures, so I would suggest discussing further with your pain team/anaesthetist.

I hope this helps!

Claire

Claire Saul
    Chronic Pain Advisor
    Scope
    helpline@scope.org.uk
    scope.org.uk
  • jaggee
    Options
    Thank you claire for taking time and sending me this information which has helped me to understand clearly, once again thank you.
  • Waylay
    Waylay Community member, Scope Member Posts: 973 Pioneering
    Options
    I had a radiofrequency denervation of my facet joints at L3/L4 - L5/S1. I suspect it's similar. One thing I'd say - ask for anaesthesia or sedation! They didn't give me any, and it was extremely painful.
  • jaggee
    Options
    Thanks for the advice, i will make sure they sedate me good and proper
  • ClaireSaul
    ClaireSaul Community member Posts: 92 Pioneering
    Options
    jaggee said:
    Thank you claire for taking time and sending me this information which has helped me to understand clearly, once again thank you.
    You are very welcome - let us know how it goes.
    Claire Saul
    Chronic Pain Advisor
    Scope
    helpline@scope.org.uk
    scope.org.uk

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.