Wheelchair Project — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Wheelchair Project

Kayman
Kayman Community member Posts: 1 Listener
Hi, 

I'm designing a rough terrain wheelchair for my design A-level project and would love to fully understand what life is like when in a wheelchair.

Please, could you fill in the following questionnaire to guide my design development. Any additional comments or insight would be most appreciated.

https://www.surveymonkey.co.uk/r/JNVNYK3

Thanks,

Kayman

Comments

• steve51
    steve51 Community member Posts: 7,153 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Kayman

Good Morning it’s great to meet you this morning.

This looks very interesting indeed.

Yes I will have a good look at this for you.

Hopefully more members will show an interest as well.
  • NCL
    NCL Community member Posts: 20 Courageous
    Hello @Kayman 
    I was interested in your post because I'm a wheelchair user. 
    I think one of the most important things to realise is that every wheelchair user is different. 
    I'm temporarily in a wheelchair because I need surgery. Once that's done, I may be able to walk again. In the meantime, sitting in the chair for any length of time is painful. It's a manual chair, so I have to push to get around, and that is difficult because it puts strain on my back - so causes pain. 
    Things I find 
    difficult: narrow doorways, any kind of slope (the slope up to the doctor's is too steep without someone pushing me but that counts as accessible!), carrying things, people who walk around carrying mobiles, getting the chair in and out of the car. 
    People I know have used manual chairs for longer and get gadgets to solve some of those problems e.g. carrying equipment and lifts to get in and out of the car. A friend in a motorised wheelchair uses a chair permanently because of lower limb paralysis; she is more independent in some ways (she can go up bigger slopes and has a lift) but less in others (no getting out of the chair and using crutches when the pavement is too high). 
    So I suppose what I'm saying is, each wheelchair user will encounter different problems and difficulties, and it would be great if chairs were built to be a bit more versatile and were easily adjustable. 
    Great project - good luck with it. 
  • forgoodnesssake
    forgoodnesssake Community member Posts: 500 Pioneering
    edited October 2018
    Have you investigated the all terrain chairs that are out there already?  Such as Magic Mobility X8 or Frontier V6?  Worth having a look
  • Garza
    Garza Community member Posts: 149 Pioneering
    Hi @Kayman have you the opportunity to spend some time in a a wheelchair yourself in different settings, this would be a great start in understanding a little of what it is like and the challenges, one thing that is really frustrating with wheelchair and most disability aids is the price!

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Disclaimer

Our website contains links to third parties’ websites for your information only.

We have no control over the content of those sites or resources and we don’t endorse or accept liability for the content of them.

Read the full Terms and Conditions and our Community House Rules.