BBC's The One Show is looking for rules mobility scooter users have encountered in their daily life — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

BBC's The One Show is looking for rules mobility scooter users have encountered in their daily life

Liam_Alumni
Liam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 1,101 Pioneering
The One Show is looking for different examples of rules and regulations mobility scooter users have encountered in day to day life - in shops/transport/public places/work etc.

It comes after a comedian who uses a mobility scooter was humiliated and threatened by a guard on a GWR train for using a disabled space. 

If you have a story and would like to find out more, please contact: olivia.hollingworth@bbc.co.uk
Liam

Comments

• fionah
    fionah Community member Posts: 7 Listener
    Local shopmobility wanted a driving test around traffic cones before letting you loose in public. They are strict others just let you hire it.

Metrolink trams I do believe you need a test for that.

Arent there issues on public transport where wheelchairs are fine but mobility scooters even compact sizes don't have to be accommodated. 
  • feir
    feir Community member Posts: 397 Pioneering
    fionah said:
    Arent there issues on public transport where wheelchairs are fine but mobility scooters even compact sizes don't have to be accommodated. 
    From what i've heard (from the lady in the video above herself) the rules about disability aides and transport were made before scooters became a popular option and so weren't considered when making them.

That video was really upsetting, she had another issue a few days later as well with being stuck on a train because there was no ramp available at her stop. It's lovely to see she is supported though and able to give a voice for all disabled people.
  • exdvr
    exdvr Community member Posts: 331 Pioneering
    Where did this ridiculous rule of 100cm maximum length come from?  How many scooters fit into this category?  I appreciate there has to be a limit but surely even 110cm would be more sensible.

Best wishes.

DLTBGYD

• MAB
    MAB Community member Posts: 3 Listener
    I live in Birmingham, 10 minutes scooter distance from a bus station but to get a permit to use the busses I had to go to either, Stourbridge, Walsall, Wolverhampton, Bilston, Coventry & there may have been others but nothing within the Birmingham area. As I said how are you supposed to get the scooter there if it is out of you batteries distance and you cannot use the bus as you do not have the permit? Really had my eyes opened since becoming disabled.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Disclaimer

Our website contains links to third parties’ websites for your information only.

We have no control over the content of those sites or resources and we don’t endorse or accept liability for the content of them.

Read the full Terms and Conditions and our Community House Rules.