If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.

Having difficulties logging in or resetting your password?

Please email [email protected]

ESA underpayment

Luv44Luv44 Posts: 17Member Connected
Just heard on BBC that the DWP will be paying back payments of ESA to 2011.
I recently received my backdated EDP to Oct 2014..  so it seems that everyone will now get it backdated to when they converted from IB to ESA from 2011.. 
This issue was discussed on BBC this morning by Paul Lewis who presents Money Box on the radio.. 
good luck everyone 

Replies

• anth22anth22 Posts: 38Member Connected
    Hi Luv44 can i ask please how long did it take DWP to sort your back pay out ? :)

• Chloe_ScopeChloe_Scope Posts: 5,842Administrator Scope community team
    Hi @Luv44 thank you for sharing this with the community!
    Chloe
    Online Community Officer
  • lisabrazil80lisabrazil80 Posts: 84Member Connected
    I waiting for my pip appeal for my medical health do any one no if I can get it back bated to 2011 wen thay stop it that if I win my appeal for my medical health can eny one shed some lite on it for me please 
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0 Pioneering
    Hi lisabrazil80

Usually, people are appealing a PIP decision on a new clam or on a renewal,  made some time ago. Where the appeal tribunal find that they are entitled to either more or some PIP after all, arrears are dated from the date when the claim was made or the renewal  due. 

But there are some cases that don't work quite like this, because by the time the appeal is heard, the person is into a fresh entitlement period and needs to have made a new claim to get paid for the later period.

If you have an adviser helping you with your appeal, ask them what is the appeal result that you are aiming for. 

i hope that this helps. 

Gill_Scope
  • spike58spike58 Posts: 6Member Listener
    Hi luv44
    can I ask how long it took you to receive your payout please?
  • Luv44Luv44 Posts: 17Member Connected
    Hi Spike58,
    i was told 12wks but was paid in 3 wks .. 
    that was a shock. I envisaged months but seems I was lucky..
    im still waiting for the money they owe me prior to 21/10/14.
    seeing as the dwp have all the information they need I’m hoping it won’t be too long. 
    Good luck 
  • spike58spike58 Posts: 6Member Listener
    Thank you Luv44, hopefully your wait won't be long :)
  • ChunkiMunkiChunkiMunki Posts: 3Member Listener
    I've been waiting now for 8 weeks and still no news. 

I called the number today and they told me they still haven't processed my claim. I doubt they will meet the 12 week limit in regards to my case.
  • Pippa_ScopePippa_Scope Posts: 5,856Member Disability Gamechanger
    Welcome to the community @ChunkiMunki! How frustrating, fingers crossed for some better news soon.
    Thanks for the welcome Pippa, I'm trying to stay positive about the whole situation.
  • jmawjmaw Posts: 5Member Listener
    Chunki Munki,
    could you please share the telephone number you rang to check on your claim....I sent the form in weeks and weeks ago but have heard nothing from them but have now lost the letter with their contact number on. 

Cheers Jim
  • poppy123456poppy123456 Posts: 15,070Community champion Disability Gamechanger
    Welcome to the community @jmaw, and thanks for sharing the link Poppy!
    outsider contractors such as Gravitas dealing with the enquiries as to entitlement  Jobcentre plus not a lot of help and the number on Poppy123456 post proved in effective in my case.....waiting for the Manager of the local Job centre to ring me

I'm not sure why that number in the link is ineffective as that's the number to ring for all enquiries for existing benefits.
  • maxtermaxter Posts: 12Member Listener
    ive been waiting to hear since i had my telephone appointment on the 16th july,i wasnt given a designated number to ring.
    jmaw said:
    Chunki Munki,
    could you please share the telephone number you rang to check on your claim....I sent the form in weeks and weeks ago but have heard nothing from them but have now lost the letter with their contact number on. 

Cheers Jim

0800 169 0346

Good luck jmaw!
  • paramount7forceparamount7force Posts: 4Member Listener
    I've been waiting exactly 11 weeks tomorrow after filling the esa 3 form in over the telephone I've been ringing them every week since about the 8 week stage can't see them getting back to me by next week. Don't even know if I'm gonna be getting any back pay at the moment just hoping so.
    Means tested benefits depends on circumstances. Living with a partner and household income.
    Means tested benefits depends on circumstances. Living with a partner and household income.
    Yes but shouldn't I get an answer within 12 weeks I've been waiting 11 weeks tomorrow when I rang up yesterday I was told I could be waiting another 4 weeks. I get esa cb support group at the moment and high rate care pip low rate mobility living alone.
    No because there's no timescales. There's huge backlogs and it could take more than 12 weeks.
    just received letter to say that £3280. has been issued dated back to 2013 ...money not in my bank as yet...my question is do I have to claim extra premiums now or is that automatically done for  me...comments welcome
    Hi,
    Extra premiums will depend on circumstances. Do you claim PIP daily living or DLA mid/high rate care? If so does anyone claim carers allowance for looking after you and do you live alone or classed as living alone or live with a partner. Sorry but with so little information it's impossible to help any further.
    PIP daily living allowance   .live alone and no one claims carers allowance....used to to get middle  rate care dla but lost it onrenewal and did not care to appeal
    You should be eligible for Severe disability premium on top of your ESA, this pays an extra £64.30 per week and can be backdated to when you first qualified. Ring ESA and ask to fill out the IS10 form over the phone. If they won't do it this way then ask them to send you the form in the post. It's a very simple form and takes minutes to fill in.
    Thank you very much for both the help and your time. Much appreciated
  • JulianandFionaJulianandFiona Posts: 6Member Listener
    Hi
    My partner & I moved from ESA to IS which benefited us financially at the time; we have since moved to UC. I am not sure if you can help following the ESA wrong payments story in the news today. My partner whom I now care for Julian Pucci was on this benefit when it replaced IB, with me joining him in a joint claim when I needed to give up work to care for him. Do you think we might be due to any underpayments even though we no longer claim ESA but definitely did during the period stated and my partner did receive severe disability allowance element on ESA.

If you are not sure I would be very grateful if you could point us in the right direction.
    Julian receives PIP enhanced for both components. and was getting severe disability allowance element on ESA.

Kind Regards

Fiona & Julian
    HI,

I answered your other question but i see you added more information on the post but i'm confused. Here is my answer copied from your other post.

How many hours were you working when your partner was claiming Contributions based ESA?

You say he was claiming the severe disability premium on his ESA? Do you also claim a qualifying benefit like PIP daily living or DLA mid/high rate care? Or was he claiming this before he lived with you? One of the qualifying conditions of this premium is that you live alone or classed as living alone or you must both be claiming a qualifying benefit, no one claims carers allowance for looking after you.
    Hi,
    Yes, I was claiming SDP with ESA as a single and joint claim, we then moved to IS and now UC. My partner claims CA  and we used to get carer components with ESA & IS which continued with UC. I used to get DLA higher rate on both, now PIP enhanced on both components.

Julian
  • BurnyBurny Posts: 17Member Listener
    Do I automatically get any money backdated or do I have to apply? I was on dla and esa for a number of years before I was moved to pip am I entitled to anything backdated .? . 
    SDP is not paid with a joint claim unless your partner receives either DLA mid or high rate care or PIP daily living as well. You both must receive a qualifying benefit to qualify if you don't live alone.

Have you always lived with your partner? and when your partner was working how many hours were they working? I'm sorry but without all the correct information it's impossible to advise any further.
    Bit more info . While on dla I was on higher rate mobility lower rate care .under pip I'm on enhanced rate mobility. And middle rate care as  a single man. . 
    Yes, as i thought you claimed the SDP because you were single and living alone. You PIP daily living award will have qualifed you for the SDP but you wouldn't have qualifed for this while you were claiming DLA because you only had low rate care. The SDP is an Income Related premium, if you were claiming just the contributions part at that time then you wouldn't have been claiming the SDP.

When you claimed ESA as a couple then it would have been income related too because you can't claim ESA as a couple on Contributions based ESA.

My advice is no you won't be owed any backdated money based on the information you told me. .

Òk thanks for the advice much appreciated 

HI,
    After I separated from my ex-wife early 2012 I did live by myself until 13/4/2013 claiming ESA with SDP before moving in with my partner. Would i be entitled to any underpayments for this period?

Thanks

Julian
    Doesn't sound like you would be entitled to anything more than you were already claiming at that time. You were already claiming the SDP.
    Hi,
    Ok, 5hanks for your help.

Regards

Julian
    Poppy from 2011 I was a single persons claim. I  had income support then contribution based esa along with  dla higher rate mobility and low rate care with single person component . The dla changed to pip 3 years ago . I receive advanced rate mobility and standard rate care. My disability will and does get worse every yes.  I am having my first review at this moment in time. Am I entitled to anything backdated ? Sorry to ask same question  again. But confused after reading your  reply for many times lol. Also what does sdp stand for . I can't remember  due to medication.  Sorry 
    Based on what you've said it doesn't sound like you're entitled to any backdated money. As you were already claiming the SDP (severe disability premium) in with your ESA and this in income related not contributions based. Changing from DLA to PIP has nothing at all to do with the under payments.
    Ah right yes I see now once again I thank you
                 Burny
    Although recently I've inquired and esa tells me I'm on contribution based esa . 
    In a support group which I do not have to attend any tnterviess or meetings 
    Burny said:
    Although recently I've inquired and esa tells me I'm on contribution based esa . 
    You stated in a comment that you now claim Universal credit with your partner?
    No I'm still on pip esa I havnt had a partner since 2011
    The underpayments is concerning those that transferred from incapacity benefit to ESA, if this was you then DWP will contact you sometime in the future.
    it is what happened to my claim. Hopefully they will  contact me. Genuinely sorry to be a pain I'm not very good at this sort of thing. Thank you very much 
    Contributions based ESA Support Group is £110.75 per week, is this the amount of ESA you receive? (£221.50 every 2 weeks)
    No I receive  £224.10 per fortnight on esa . I have just been informed  by a friend that I should be on the higher rate of esa ( I didn't know there were different  rates ) of £ 188 per week. ?  
    DWP will eventually contact you.
    Does that mean I maybe entitled to more? 
  • sickboy2sickboy2 Posts: 1Member Listener
    Be on ESA, since 2009.will I be eligible for any back payment. 
    sickboy2 said:
    Be on ESA, since 2009.will I be eligible for any back payment. 
    The underpayments concern those that transferred from Incapacity benefit to ESA. If that was you then it will totally depend on your circumstances.
    Got my award. Rang oldham today its been approved took exactly 12 weeks to the day.
    what number did you ring mate
    The number is 0800 169 0346
    i got a letter today telling me basically im better off on contribution based esa,no back payment.
    Qualifying for the income related top up on Contributions based totally depend on your circumstances. If you live with a partner that works, have savings/capital then all these go against you for claiming the top up.

Contributions based benefits aren't means tested and your income/savings/capital aren't counted when claiming this.
    hi poppy,got no savings no partner,i recieve £224 a fortnight contribution esa.i also recieve industrial disablement benefit
    dont understand it whatsoever
    Industrial injuries benefit is counted as income for the income related top up on the ESA, as stated on your other thread regarding this. https://community.scope.org.uk/discussion/49860/industrial-disablement-benefit-and-c-b-esa-arrears#latest

Basically this means that this benefit will count as income £1 for £1 when calculating any Income related top up on your ESA, which means you're not entitled to it. As you're claiming Contributions based ESA, this isn't means tested and your Industrial injuries benefit doesn't affect this ESA.

• Antoinette88Antoinette88 Posts: 5Member Listener
    That's same as me !x
    thanks for explaining it.
  • SkinEdzSkinEdz Posts: 2Member Listener
    Hi new to site posted a question outside of this thread aswell i just rang the number posted on here ending in 0310 and got an automated reply more or less saying don't bother calling we will be in touch with you bye 😂 would I get a better reply ringing the original number given on the form been 13 weeks and no contact 

TIA
    Hi SkinEdz

No-one really knows the answer to that question. The DWP say they have to contact 180,000 people, which will take time. Where people get in touch with them first, this may speed things up - I should think it does, but that isn't definite. 

Sorry. 

Gill_Scope
    Hi @maxter, just to say that I've removed your images as your address was still slightly visible. Glad to see you've had some guidance from other members!
  • belgiumbunbelgiumbun Posts: 12Member Listener
    edited December 2018
    Hi my partner passed in Nov 17 recently i received a letter as her next of kin saying she was potentially under payed i did the form over the phone with a lady who said it was taking 12 weeks and that i would receive another form  this came it was a br 330 ibrs rather strange form asking who paid for the funeral where my wife died  and who was responsible for her estate i  think the strangest question was why did i think or consider myself entitled to her underpayment i found this odd as it was them who had contacted me a few weeks prior as her next of kin the letter said she was entitled to ESA 1 it made no mention of the amount involved at this stage it also said if i did not wish to claim the money that was okay but if i did i must do so asap as said a rather odd form , Obviously this is slightly different as my partner bless her soul is passed however what i feel is a shame in searching this subject is the lack of knowledge on the situation after a payment i have heard these payments are only to be disregarded for income purposes savings limit  for a year by the  powers that be with regards to income and savings is this true and is this true in regards to where a next of kin receives money quite how they can consider it beyond me as the money is a underpayment which should have been received anyway in normal payment its a bloody disgrace to class it as income in the normal form . Does anyone know if compensation is in place for those who have paid prescriptions had dental work etc that they would not have paid for if properly assessed for ESA ? 
    Hi @belgiumbun

Here's an interesting document from the Public Accounts Committee - see paragraphs 16 to 18.

https://publications.parliament.uk/pa/cm201719/cmselect/cmpubacc/975/975.pdf

The document was written before the principle of full arrears had been established.

I hope that eventually there will be compensation for missed NHS charges, NHS fines paid, lost housing benefit, council tax reduction, council tax liability order costs, all of it.  

Huff Post says that the Work and Pensions Committee intends to press the government for arrears of the associated benefits, including NHS charges etc.

https://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/disabled-benefits-claimants-150m-back-payments-government-error_uk_5b503bf0e4b0de86f489d849

Has anyone else found anything more recent?

Gill_Scope
  • BreakingMadBreakingMad Posts: 7Member Listener
    I moved onto ESA in 2012 and lived with my girlfriend for a year.she worked part time 24 hours a week.

Does the fact that I lived with her mean I won't get anything. I have lived alone on ESA since January 2013. 

Also I have a small pension around £14 a week will ((2/3 from a county council and 1/3 from a private one) 

I'm on support group and higher level DLA care. 

Thanks 

P
    I moved onto ESA in 2012 and lived with my girlfriend for a year.she worked part time 24 hours a week.

Does the fact that I lived with her mean I won't get anything. I have lived alone on ESA since January 2013. 

Also I have a small pension around £14 a week will ((2/3 from a county council and 1/3 from a private one) 

I'm on support group and higher level DLA care. 

Thanks 

P
    Hi,

You'll need to wait to be contacted by DWP. If you've already been contacted then once the form has been returned the timescale is 12 weeks but with huge backlogs it could be longer. It's impossible to give further advice on an internet forum.
    Thanks but someone might know. It's a specific question. 
    If you lived with a partner when you changed are you still elagable or did living with someone mean you get zero money or do you get money but only after you informed them you lived elsewhere ? 

Please respond if you know the answer 
    Living with a partner that worked will be counted as income for any income related top up. As they worked 24 hours per week then you wouldn't have been entitled to any top up at that time.

Also a works pension is counted as income £1 for £1 when calculating any income related top up. As the Enhanced disability premium is £16.40 per week from April 2018 (less in previous years) your pension will almost wipe out the top up.

You will of course need to wait for DWP to assess you and make a decision.
    Thanks Poppy the second part of the question was about when I split with my partner. Would the period from Jan 2013 be likely to be covered by the reimbursement ? Or because when the swap happened I was in a relationship does that mean post relationship means I get nothing at all?
    It will depend on your circumstances in 2013. If you were claiming the pension at that time then this will be counted £1 for £1 and will reduce any income related top up you maybe entitled to. Also if you were claiming any transitional support protection on top of your ESA when you transferred from IB then this will also count as income.

You really do need to wait for DWP to assess your claim properly.
    Not sure why you have this forum really if the answer is wait to every question. 

If Anyone does kown the answer to the in a relationship then not in one question let me know

Failing that  I'll wait. 12 weeks today yay!
    I already answered your question twice. I said that a partner working will affect any income related top you could be entitled to. If at any point you weren't living with a partner that works then you maybe entitled to backpay BUT your pension is counted as income and will reduce any top up £1 for £1. I'm not sure what other advice you want. You won't receive a definite answer anywhere on an internet forum.
    Thanks that extra bit was what I was after thanks very much 
  • victoria28victoria28 Posts: 2Member Listener
    Hi guys I'm new to this forum . Sent forms back a month ago and have just call them . The lady said they are still on phase 1 cases and that mine will not be looked at till after that . Then will be another 12 weeks for processing so looks like it can take months ! 
    Hi guys I'm new to this forum . Sent forms back a month ago and have just call them . The lady said they are still on phase 1 cases and that mine will not be looked at till after that . Then will be another 12 weeks for processing so looks like it can take months ! 
    Hi,

Last i heard it was 12-20 weeks for a decision but it could be longer than that now.
    Hi @victoria28 and welcome to the community! I really hope you are not waiting much longer!

If there is anything we can do to help then please do let us know! :)
    Chloe
    Online Community Officer
  • victoria28victoria28 Posts: 2Member Listener
    My forms have now been in 3 months , rang for update and were told phase 2 cases have begun and mine has moved to processing . I were told it will still be months to wait rather than weeks ! 
    I imagine that is very frustrating! I'll keep my fingers crossed for you!
    Chloe
    Online Community Officer
  • niknacniknac Posts: 9Member Listener
    I've been waiting 24weeks now !! Sent forms back in April 😣
    Sorry to hear this @niknac! When was the last time you rang up?
    Chloe
    Online Community Officer
    I cannot remember about 14 weeks after I sent the forms back and they said there was a backlog.I know I should call them again but they have caused me so much anxiety recently I am reluctant to especially with all the waiting times on the phone people are talking about😣
    I called them yesterday and finally got through after 25mins( that classical music starts to get very annoying), only to be told the same as last time that they have all the information they need and it is waiting to be processed which there is no time scale and that it will be dealt with when I get to the top of the pile and there is no need to call back again xx
  • Adrian_ScopeAdrian_Scope Posts: 4,497Administrator Scope community team
    Hi @niknac. I'm sorry you're still waiting, it must be really frustrating. Hopefully it won't be too much longer now. 
    Senior Online Community Officer
    Scope
    Hi @Adrian_Scope to be honest I have put it aside for now as I have more worrying things going on, thank you for your response 😊
  • Ciara55Ciara55 Posts: 19Member Connected
    Hi sorry for posting this if its in wrong place i am.new to this site after finding no answers elsewhere for situation....my father died aug 2017 and i am.his legal next of kin and have been sent letter weeka ago re possible undepayment of esa from july 2013 until he passed in aug 2017...ive since called them and then had a call back  to.fill in application...ive also looked through all my dads paperwork and found he was transfered from.incapacity to esa contribution based ...ive found old housing benefit award letters saying he shouldve had 2 premiums on his esa as he had high rate dla but his actual esa award was only for £218 every 2 weeks...no premiums other than the support group addition...what im wondering is my calculations work out that he was underpaid by nearly £70 per week !! And im thinking i must be wrong on tht...as that would mean he was underpaid by around £16.000  ...surely the dwp couldnt have missed that ???? ..i have read on here of peoples own claims for backpayment but none for deceased relatives ...can anyone help please

Ciara55 said:
    Hi sorry for posting this if its in wrong place i am.new to this site after finding no answers elsewhere for situation....my father died aug 2017 and i am.his legal next of kin and have been sent letter weeka ago re possible undepayment of esa from july 2013 until he passed in aug 2017...ive since called them and then had a call back  to.fill in application...ive also looked through all my dads paperwork and found he was transfered from.incapacity to esa contribution based ...ive found old housing benefit award letters saying he shouldve had 2 premiums on his esa as he had high rate dla but his actual esa award was only for £218 every 2 weeks...no premiums other than the support group addition...what im wondering is my calculations work out that he was underpaid by nearly £70 per week !! And im thinking i must be wrong on tht...as that would mean he was underpaid by around £16.000  ...surely the dwp couldnt have missed that ???? ..i have read on here of peoples own claims for backpayment but none for deceased relatives ...can anyone help please

Answered here on your other thread https://community.scope.org.uk/discussion/64306/esa-underpayment-for-deceased-father#latest

Hi i was wondering if anyone has more recent timescale on payments once they are in processing department 
  • Robbychris19Robbychris19 Posts: 3Member Listener
    Hi, I had my esa backdated form sent back as I failed to answer 3 of the questions, I have waited 11 weeks for this to be sorted now I have sent it back after answering all relevant questions will I have to wait another 11 weeks? 
    I have just had a call from esa sensitive case team to tell me they have checked all info received and they do not require any further info re my late father and that it is now passed over to the “processing” team i asked how long that takes now and guy said it used to be within 12 weeks but they have now scrapped that and there is no timescale ..could be as little as a week or over 6 months ...i find tht answer appalling but thought id let yous know latest info from them re timescales
  • Robbychris19Robbychris19 Posts: 3Member Listener
    Hi thanks for that info, I’m just hoping I’m not waiting too much longer
    Hi thanks for that info, I’m just hoping I’m not waiting too much longer
    Hiya ...another update...dwp just called me again ...just to confirm one of my dads adresses... .lady said she was hoping to complete it all by end of day ....so doesnt look like its going to take long at all ....will keep u updated.. .but phonecall i had to fill in form.on phone was on 25th september so from then until decision maker working on it has been less than a week 
    Now telling me it is showing as passed processing and is marked as in checking ?? ..daid it has been passed to "team leader" to be checked anyone heard of this ???
    It looks to me like it is something to do with top up payments during the year I was getting Contributions licensed ESA, as you only get that for a year and then I moved onto Income related ESA.Did you get the print out of the way they worked it out with your letter? Check no.8 Top Up payment.It is all very confusing xx
    edited October 4
    hi all   was hoping for some advice   my partner emma like  a lot of stories on here is in same boat , she was transferred from IB to ESA in 2013 but was only paid contributional esa even thoughshe  could not work due to illness and had no savings but after reading the qualifying criteria  she was placed in support group and on dla then pip daily living so was sure she be entitled to both income and contributional  esa and receive some of the income related premiums backdated as seems like its happened to 1000s of other as per thread   but we submitted our forms after the dwp contacted in april and entered the waiting game months went on 12 weeks turned into another 12 weeks then this week we recieved a letter from DWP saying fron 04/13 to 04/14 that emma was not entitled to any income related esa , why just that year?? what bout the next 5 as circumstances change  and the reason they gave aswell is  YOUR ENTITLEMENT TO CONTRIBUTIONAL ESA EXCEEDED YOUR ENTITLEMENT TO INCOME RELATED ESA   , whats does that mean can anyone help as we have no saving and me as partner not worked since 2017 so really confused how i read on website different premiums and health benefits from being on IR but were not getting it and really need it 

also as this letter  just specifies  2013/2014  will there be other letters to come  , the helpline not helpful at all  and feel very upset

any help be appreciated

joe  and emma
    Hi,
    You say it's just the 1 year in the decision letter. When she was first contacted and sent the letter regarding the underpayments it would have stated which years they are going to assess her for, what did it say in that letter?

Whether she would have been entitled to any income related top up during the dates stated in the letter will depend on her circumstances during that time. The Income related top up (premiums) are means tested, so living with a partner that works or claims other benefits theirself, capital/savings and income from pensions etc, all count against being entitled to any means tested benefits. Without more information it's impossible to give any advice. You say you haven't worked since 2017, were you working during 2013/14? if so how many hours per week were you working?

For the years after 2014, again more information is needed. You say you haven't worked since 2017, what benefits have you claimed since then? Are you now claiming ESA as a couple or are you claiming a different benefit, possibly carers allowance and Income Support? Again without more information, it's impossible to help you further.

If you don't want to give more information then you'll need to take all her paper work to an advice agency near you and ask them to check through it. You'll then be able to tell them all your circumstances from 2013 up until the present day.
Sign in or join us to comment.