Hearing — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hearing

cripps
cripps Community member Posts: 412 Pioneering
please help with advice, I’m a disabled man thats wheelchair bound and recently had an hearing test and the outcome was that i need hearing aids but there so expensive and with being on benefits there’s no way i can purchase them with the money I’m on, so i was wondering if there’s anyway of purchasing hearing aids any other way. Thank you. NC

Comments

• LittleGizmo86
    LittleGizmo86 Community member Posts: 79 Courageous
    Hi cripps

Welcome and hello.

Where did you have your hearing test?

Depending on where you live Specsavers opticians can provide free NHS ones (nothing fancy). You can check on their website to see if you postcode is part of their scheme?
  • cripps
    Good morning, thank you for replying i had my hearing test done at BOOTS because i got my glasses ? from there they may do the scheme if not and they can give me a written report I’ll go over to specsavers like you say. Thank you for your advice I’ll take it up when i go back. NC
  • cripps
    Oh yes sorry i live in the Cheshire area near Northwich. NC
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @cripps, thank you for sharing this with us. It is possible to get hearing aids on the NHS free of charge. This can be if you have gone through companies like specsaves, or even if you just get a referral from your GP.

Here is what I have found:

Hearing aids are available on the NHS for anyone who needs them.

Your GP can refer you to an NHS hearing aid provider if they think you might need a hearing aid.

The benefits of getting a hearing aid on the NHS include:

• hearing aids are provided for free as a long-term loan 
    • batteries and repairs are free (there may be a charge if you lose or break your hearing aid and it needs to be replaced) 
    • you don't have to pay for any follow-up appointments or aftercare 

But while several modern hearing aids are available on the NHS, these are usually the BTE or very occasionally the RITE type. You may need to pay for private treatment if you want one of the other types.

The waiting time for getting a hearing aid on the NHS can also sometimes be longer than the wait for private treatment.

(https://www.nhs.uk/live-well/healthy-body/hearing-aids/)

Wish you the very best of luck that you get it sorted! Have a lovely day :)
    Scope

• cripps
    Thank you I’ll like to say i enjoy this weather but the only thing that is enjoying the weather is my plants ? they haven’t stopped growing since the sun came out.  With the medication I’m on too much sun knocks me for six. I may be struggling but that doesn’t stop lovely people like yourself enjoying it for me. Thank you for the post on the hearing aids I’ll see what is available when it comes down to choosing. One thing i am looking forward too is my new wheelchair , it came the other day and a nurse from the hospital is coming tomorrow to make sure it’s appropriate for me so i can go ahead and start using it. Thanks to you again. NC
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Sorry you are struggling to garden as much @cripps, it is great news about your wheelchair though! I hope they think it is suitable and that it gives you some independence back! Please do keep us updated about the hearing aids :) I am sure other community members would benefit from knowing the process of getting hearing aids for the first time- have a lovely day :)
    Scope

• cripps

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.