Do I have to visit the jobcentre — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Do I have to visit the jobcentre

Options
sabbers
sabbers Community member Posts: 8 Listener
Long story short I'm claiming Universal credit and only get the housing element.  So I have not had a work capability assessment, but if I did have one I know I score enough for limited capability for work.  The jobcentre bungled my appointments and I went yesterday and now they want me to go again next week, I told them I was unable to go because of my condition and could they visit me or meet me closer to my house.  But they still want me to go next week to work out what reasonable adjustment I may need.  Well hello, one reasonable adjustment would be meet me closer to my house.

I can't face going again three times in the same month, I just don't have the energy.  Can I refuse and request they meet me closer to home.  I don't want them calling me in willy nilly whenever they feel like, because I haven't been assessed and will never be because I'm not entitled to ESA, JSA or IS.

Comments

• April2018mom
    April2018mom Posts: 2,882 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Don’t go.

Honestly I’ve never been to my local jobcenter centre as it’s a complete waste of my time. You often have better luck trying to get a decent job through other avenues. This includes any online job postings and job ads in the newspapers. You said that they messed up your appointments so truthfully I would not trust them anymore. Who knows what else they could potentially ruin for you? Get a WC assessment done if you want to that is. I believe that you can ask them if that’s possible logistically speaking. Easier said than done but still worth trying anyway. Good luck with your job hunting!! 
  • sabbers
    sabbers Community member Posts: 8 Listener
    Options
    Thanks.  I have had a job offer to begin in August just waiting for my contract and starting date.  But if I do not go I will be sanctioned and I could do with some of my rent paid as it helps a lot.  I'm a bit restricted with work I can do.  Traveling is an issue for me.  I've read on the citizen advice website that if jobcentre insist I keep coming in I can say I'm being discriminated against.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.