Trigeminial Neuralgia and benefits — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Trigeminial Neuralgia and benefits

Options
glyn
glyn Community member Posts: 3 Listener
edited July 2018 in PIP, DLA, and AA
Hi this is my 1st post ! 
I've had Trigeminial Neuralgia (TN) for 15years. It's also known as The suicide disease because of the severe facial pain. I've had operation on nerve which was brain surgery which didn't work. Then Gamma Knife which worked. I take gabapentin.. 
This painful condition isn't on the list at DWP ! I need to know how to claim for disability.
Thanks for reading Glyn x

Comments

• Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    edited July 2018
    Options
    Hi @glyn and a warm welcome to the community! Thank you for taking the time to talk to us about this today. I am glad you found that some of the treatment works. If it is PIP that you are looking to apply for then it doesn't matter that it is not on the DWP website. PIP is a disability benefit that is based on the impact your impairment has on your life, rather than a condition you have. It is possible to not have a diagnosis and gain PIP. If you believe you may be entitled to this then you can use the PIP self- test online which may give you an indication of the award you would be given. However, please be aware that these are not guaranteed results as assessors may to score you the same. Also, it may be worth looking at the benefits calculator on the Scope website as this can tell you what else you may be able to claim. If you need anything else then please do not hesitate to be in touch :)
    Scope

• glyn
    Options
    Thank you for quick reply. I will try the calculators to see if I can claim benefit. 
    I don't only have TN I have other health conditions.
    Glyn
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,026 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Do you currently work? Do you live with a partner that works? Claiming any means tested benefits will totally depend on household income.

PIP isn't means tested. Do try the PIP self test in the link above. If you do start a claim for PIP then evidence will be needed to support a claim, they rarely contact anyone for evidence.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • dipper1956
    dipper1956 Community member Posts: 1 Listener
    Options
    please note it is not what you have.. but how it affects you. if going down the pip route plse take advice and support in the form completion

• atlas46
    atlas46 Community member Posts: 826 Pioneering
    Options
    Hi @glyn

Welcome to the community.

Could you explain what other health conditions you have.

In particular if they impact on your daily living activities.

This information will assist us, on how best we can support you.

I note that there is a charity for TN in the UK, but you have to join to engage on it's forum.

Look forward to assisting you, as much as possible.
  • Yadnad
    Yadnad Posts: 2,856 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    glyn said:
    This painful condition isn't on the list at DWP ! I need to know how to claim for disability.
    Nether are many of my issues especially the side issues that the illness itself bring to the table. I even tried NHS choices and most aren't on there either.
    I 'proved' that they existed by referring to the GP records and the medication that was being prescribed.

For PIP you have to show what the effects are because of the illness not what the illness is.
  • glyn
    Options
    Hi sorry for late reply ! I have Trigeminial Neuralgia 
    Fibromyalgia 
    Anxiety
    Depression 
    Asthma 
    COPD
    Sinus problems
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,026 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Claiming PIP isn't about a diagnosis, it's how those conditions affect your ability to carry out daily activities against the PIP descriptors. See the links in Chloe's post above.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • synergy2120
    synergy2120 Community member Posts: 19 Courageous
    Options
    Hi Glyn, 

My husband suffers from Chronic Cluster Headaches which effects the same nerve as your condition (also referred to as suicide headaches)..He managed to get awarded DLA quite a few years ago but has not yet been transferred to PIP. It is possible to get it but we did have to fight to get it, Have you ever tried Oxygen therapy? 

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.