ESA Assessment — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

ESA Assessment

Options
Linda1960
Linda1960 Community member Posts: 3 Listener
I have an ESA assessment soon, the doctor wrote saying I couldn't travel that far, they've turned me down for home visit, what do I do.

Comments

• thara
    thara Posts: 49 Courageous
    Options
    Can you appeal the decision?

I asked for a home assessment for my mom stating that she has a wheelchair and we cannot travel to Chertsey on the train either. I filled out the form and I told my mom to include all the evidence with the paperwork that came in the mail.

My mom has still not been asked to attend a assessment yet. Good luck!! 
  • Linda1960
    Options
    Hi I haven't had any forms, just letters with appointments, thank you though.
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @Linda1960, welcome to the community! You should be able to ring up and explain your situation. I hope you can get a home visit sorted!!
    Scope

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,018 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Linda1960 said:
    I have an ESA assessment soon, the doctor wrote saying I couldn't travel that far, they've turned me down for home visit, what do I do.

Hi,

A letter from your GP stating you're unable to travel far isn't the best letter, as you know they've turned you down for the home assessment. What you should have got is a letter from your GP stating the reasons why you can't attend the assessment at one of their centres. If you have to cancel an appointment then you can only do this once.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • ellerdene
    ellerdene Community member Posts: 6 Connected
    Options
    Hi 
    My partner was asked to attend for Assessment but at the time had just had surgery so was unable to travel.Our GP provided a letter which we were told had not been received at first but they lied basically and had got the letter, they eventually cancelled the appointment but he was refused a home visit and still had to go to the Assessment Centre eventually ! point being its very hard to get a home visit and most people are forced to attend it seems they make very few exceptions ! and sadly although they encourage people to use public transport as the train station is close to the centre in Bham you then get penalised and marked down for being able to use the train so you just cant win.
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Thank you for sharing this with us @ellerdene, and a very warm welcome to the community!
    Scope

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 273 Pioneering
    Options
    Hi Lindda1960

Just wanted to echo what poppy123456 has written. The doctor's letter has to be very specific and even then, a home visit is often refused. You can only not attend one appointment, after that the DWP is very likely to stop your benefit. 

On the plus side, and this only works for some people in some situations, the healthcare professional (the assessor) may realise more about your disability (ies) at an assessment centre than they would see at home, and this can be an advantage.

Of course I'm not saying that people should be asked to go to an assessment centre when they just can't get there, but there is some advantage to being seen there, if it means that the assessor gets to understand more about how it really is for you when you go out.

Gill_Scope 

• Linda1960
    Options
    Hi i was approved for home visit but still waiting, since last year, it's making me anxious, thanks for your last reply.
  • poppy123456
    Options
    There can often be a long wait for a home assessment, the good news is you can't be found fit for work without a face to face assessment. Hopefully it won't be much longer.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • Dotty123
    Dotty123 Community member Posts: 492 Pioneering
    Options
    Hi I am having esa review I can’t use my hands so if they say I need work how can I 
  • poppy123456
    Options
  • Dotty123
    Options
    I’m in support group I go out suddenly on foot corroding don’t no why on floor can’t use hands legs feet swollen got plantar fasciitis 
  • Dotty123
    Options
    Typesorry meant go out suddenly on floor  your comment
  • poppy123456
    Options
    Dotty123 said:
    Typesorry meant go out suddenly on floor  your comment
    I'm sorry but i don't understand what you mean by this.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.