If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.

Having difficulties logging in or resetting your password?

Please email [email protected]

Why does it take so long to get a decision?

jules13jules13 Posts: 63Member Connected
edited July 2018 in PIP, DLA and AA
Hi I had my PIP assessment yesterday, I think (hope) it went well! I know it takes 6-8 weeks now to hear off DWP. Is the face to face assessment the last process? Would they of already of contacted the doctors / consultants etc or is that why it takes so long to get a decision? 

Replies

• maybebaby36maybebaby36 Posts: 4Member Listener
    They don't contact your doctors, or at least they didn't when I applied. You will more than likely need to appeal the decision (make sure you get help from a benefits advisor) you should get it on the appeal if you don't automatically get it.
  • jules13jules13 Posts: 63Member Connected
    Ooh I thought because I put details of my doctors and consultants for my problems etc they would contact them. Makes you wonder why they ask for them in the form! Thank you. I’m on crutches and cannot walk far at all! Need help dressing etc and the assessor kept saying “oh bless you” and “oh gosh it’s frustrating for you” so I hope it went well. But I bet DWP say no. Is it easy to appeal? 
  • Pippa_ScopePippa_Scope Posts: 5,856Member Disability Gamechanger
    Welcome to the community @jules13! Fingers crossed for the outcome you're hoping for- keep us updated and we'll assist where we can.
  • Ami2301Ami2301 Posts: 5,781Community champion Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @jules13

Welcome! Wishing you good luck for your result!

Ami :)
    You're a fighter. Look at everything you've overcome. Don't give up now!
  • Tigermoth42Tigermoth42 Posts: 239Member Pioneering
    Hi @Jules13, welcome to this lovely community. Good luck with your claim for PIP. If you don’t get the result you hope for then the first stage is a Mandatory Reconsideration (MR). You can request a copy of the assessors report to see what they wrote, I did this by phoning the dwp when I requested my MR and followed it up with a letter detailing where I felt the report was incorrect and included copies of medical reports and photos. If this doesn’t generate the entitlement you think you’re due then you can appeal. You do this directly to the court and they send papers to the dwp. I’ve just had mine cancelled as the dwp have decided not to defend their original decision and have awarded me back the enhanced mobility. Hopefully it won’t come to that for you, do keep us posted xx
    Thank you all for your comments xx I hope to hear soon xx
  • steve51steve51 Posts: 5,861Community champion Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @jules13

Good Afternoon & Welcome to our Community/Family.

I do hope that things go ok for you with regards to your “pip”

Please please keep us up to date with things????

We are all here to “help/support”  you!!!!!!
  • poppy123456poppy123456 Posts: 14,935Community champion Disability Gamechanger
    They very rarely contact anyone for evidence. It does state on the front of the form the additional information to send to support your claim, this includes evidence. They won't take your word for it.

As you've had the assessment, wait until middle of next week and ring DWP to ask them to send you a copy of the assessment report, this will give you some idea of what the decision is likely to be as they mostly go with that report. It's also handy if you're refused and need to ask for the MR.

As it's now summer holidays a decision may take longer because lots of people off on their holidays but there's no timescales to decisions anyway. It really depends on backlog in your area.
  • YadnadYadnad Posts: 2,862Member - under moderation Disability Gamechanger
    It's also handy if you're refused and need to ask for the MR.
    Is that really necessary? Waiting is stressful, to see your report before the DWP actually make a decision must be twice as stressful.
    For my three decisions the DWP included the report and other documents with the decision notice.
  • Tigermoth42Tigermoth42 Posts: 239Member Pioneering
    I had to request my report at MR once it became apparent that there were inconsistencies between what I’d said and what the healthcare professional put. I’m not sure it would have helped me to get it earlier, I think I would have been under even more stress, but we’re all different so it might be ok for you. Be prepared to read a load of nonsense! 
  • rayrar80rayrar80 Posts: 33Member Connected
    My son had his assessment the end of june, dwp sent a text on the 3rd july to say we would hear in 4 wks, its 4 wks today and still nothing, i requested a copy of his report and he has scored the points he should have so its just a case of waiting on the decision letter now. I would always advise to request a copy of the report, just so u have an idea of what to expect. Good luck with you’re outcome.
    rayrar80 said:
    My son had his assessment the end of june, dwp sent a text on the 3rd july to say we would hear in 4 wks, its 4 wks today and still nothing, i requested a copy of his report and he has scored the points he should have so its just a case of waiting on the decision letter now. I would always advise to request a copy of the report, just so u have an idea of what to expect. Good luck with you’re outcome.
    But if it is bad news and the points won't add up to any award, waiting for the decision letter must be really stressful - you can't do anything about the report until the decision is made. Not something that I would want to wait for.
    They very rarely contact anyone for evidence. It does state on the front of the form the additional information to send to support your claim, this includes evidence. They won't take your word for it.

As you've had the assessment, wait until middle of next week and ring DWP to ask them to send you a copy of the assessment report, this will give you some idea of what the decision is likely to be as they mostly go with that report. It's also handy if you're refused and need to ask for the MR.

As it's now summer holidays a decision may take longer because lots of people off on their holidays but there's no timescales to decisions anyway. It really depends on backlog in your area.
    Oh I didn’t realise I could call up and ask for a copy of the report, I sent a lot of evidence, and also a few consultants and doctors details as it says in the booklet,I didn’t expect them to take my word for it, hence why I thought they would contact all medical professionals I have listed.  I was told 6-8weeks so that’s cool. Just a waiting game now. 
    Yadnad said:
    Is that really necessary? Waiting is stressful, to see your report before the DWP actually make a decision must be twice as stressful.
    For my three decisions the DWP included the report and other documents with the decision notice.
    A friend of mine who has got it showed me her award notice and it does state it and really I don’t think you can tell anything just by reading it. My assessor kept saying “oh bless you” and “that’s frustrating for you” still I don’t think that means I’m going to def get it, I will just wait for the letter off them xx
    Yadnad said:
    For your info yes it is and a lot of people ask for a copy of the report BEFORE a decision is made. It's useful as i stated because once a decision is made, there's not much time if a claimant needs to take it to the next step!
    Yadnad said:
    rayrar80 said:
    But if it is bad news and the points won't add up to any award, waiting for the decision letter must be really stressful - you can't do anything about the report until the decision is made. Not something that I would want to wait for.
    I disagree! If the points don't add up to an award you can start to write the MR request using the assessment report, which is always much more detailed than the decision letter. Why waste time waiting for the decision, after all most of the time the DM goes with the report. Yes, i know the MR can't be requested until the decision made but at least it will be there waiting to be posted...
  • LittleGizmo86LittleGizmo86 Posts: 79Member Courageous
    I totally agree with @poppy123456

I requested my report before getting the decision. It helped a lot. I wasnt stressing waiting for the decision aa i knew it was going to be a no... and i also had my MR letter written and ready to post. I also knew what additional evidence i needed to gather to counter claim.. the second the decision was made it went in the post.

Everyone is different but i think it has its advantages. Good luck

I requested my report before getting the decision. It helped a lot. I wasnt stressing waiting for the decision aa i knew it was going to be a no... and i also had my MR letter written and ready to post. I also knew what additional evidence i needed to gather to counter claim.. the second the decision was made it went in the post.

So how long after your face to face assessment did you call up for the report? 

For your info yes it is and a lot of people ask for a copy of the report BEFORE a decision is made. It's useful as i stated because once a decision is made, there's not much time if a claimant needs to take it to the next step!
    But you can't know what the decision will actually be and you can't make an application for a MR until you receive the decision and know what you intend to fight for.
    jules13 said:

If you leave it till next week, your report will hopefully be returned to DWP by then. Ring DWP for the report not the assessment providers.
    Yadnad said:

But you can't know what the decision will actually be and you can't make an application for a MR until you receive the decision and know what you intend to fight for.
    Some people have little knowledge of the PIP system, it seems like you're one of them. Sorry but most of your comments are just full of disagreements and jealousy of other peoples awards.
    edited August 2018

Some people have little knowledge of the PIP system, it seems like you're one of them. Sorry but most of your comments are just full of disagreements and jealousy of other peoples awards.
    I agree I know very little like the majority of people - I am not a WRO nor do I intend to qualify as one.. But I would not want to have a report in front of me which is so inaccurate that it makes me angry and not be able to do something about it until the actual decision comes out which can be many weeks later. In this case ignorance would be bliss!
    If people are happy to fester with that level of turmoil then fine, I know I couldn't cope and would imagine that many others would not either.
    You seem to have moved over from insulting Mike Hughes and are now directing your unwanted attention on me.
    jules13 said:

Hi @[email protected]

I rang 1 week after my dace to face and it came about 4 days later.

Good luck x
    Yadnad said:

@Yadnad

Thats nonsense.

The decision maker VERY rarely goes against the assessor so you pretty much know exactly what they are going to say. The report tells you exactly what the assessor decided and what points have been suggested. That is pretty much what you are going to get. Yes you cant send it until the decision is actually made but you already know from the report which bits you dont agree with, which bits you need to further evidence and work out how to make the MR more likely a success. Like poppy said you only have 4 weeks from the decision to put in an MR. Surely if nothing else it is better to have it ready... even just a provisional letter.. using the time writing your template letter and gathering as much extra evidence as you can while you wait is a better use of your time rather than rushing it all as the 4 weeks tick down. Plus you can keep editting it when you think of things as you go along as while you wait you have that time.

You can have your MR already being considered in the time it would take you to do all that AFTER the decision is made.

Seriously... with the DWP you have no time for 'blissfully unaware'.....
  • Government_needs_reformGovernment_needs_reform Posts: 846Member Pioneering
    Also to add to this debate.

Most people seem to think it's the Decision Maker at the DWP that makes the final decision, well I'm going to put you all right on this argument.

No it's not.

The assesssment and HP report is what a DWP decision maker will always go by.

But, in only 1% they might disagree with an assessment or HP. 

When they tell you at an assessment or a home assessment its down to the DWP decision maker is absolute rubbish.

All the DWP decision maker does is rubber stamp what has been put on the assessment report.

So yes it is vital to get the report as soon as it's a available so you can understand if you will or won't be awarded your benefit. That goes for ESA, PIP and DLA.

Then you will be prepaired if you will won't need to go down the road of a MR then appeal.

So. YES get the report as soon as you can no question about that contrary to what you've heard or read on this thread.

✅👀From the Labour manifesto 21st November 2019👀✅
    ⬇️⬇️⬇️⬇️
    The Tories’ flagship social security programme, Universal Credit (UC),
    has been a catastrophe. It has pushed thousands of people into poverty, caused families to lose their homes and forced parents to visit food banks in order to feed their children.
    Labour will scrap UC. We will immediately stop moving people onto it and design an alternative system that treats people with dignity and respect. Our ambition in designing this system will be to end poverty by guaranteeing a minimum standard of living.
    Tory cuts are pushing people into rent arrears and leaving them at risk of homelessness. We will stop housing costs running away from benefits
    by scrapping the bedroom tax and increasing the Local Housing Allowance.
    Labour stands with and for disabled people. We will always challenge stigma and discrimination wherever it is found and support the right of disabled people to live independently and be treated with respect.
    We will stop the dehumanising Work Capability and PIP Assessments,
    which repeatedly and falsely find ill or disabled people fit to work, and make sure all assessments are done in-house.
    Time and again disabled people have had to fight through the courts to receive the support they are entitled to.

• Pippa_ScopePippa_Scope Posts: 5,856Member Disability Gamechanger
    Morning all,

There's some good discussion going on here, however I'd urge you to read one of our latest posts- comment on the content, not the contributor. Please make sure your comments are constructive and respect all members of the community, and help us to keep this area a safe and supportive place.
    edited August 2018

@Yadnad

Thats nonsense.

The decision maker VERY rarely goes against the assessor so you pretty much know exactly what they are going to say. The report tells you exactly what the assessor decided and what points have been suggested. That is pretty much what you are going to get. Yes you cant send it until the decision is actually made but you already know from the report which bits you dont agree with, which bits you need to further evidence and work out how to make the MR more likely a success. Like poppy said you only have 4 weeks from the decision to put in an MR. Surely if nothing else it is better to have it ready... even just a provisional letter.. using the time writing your template letter and gathering as much extra evidence as you can while you wait is a better use of your time rather than rushing it all as the 4 weeks tick down. Plus you can keep editting it when you think of things as you go along as while you wait you have that time.

You can have your MR already being considered in the time it would take you to do all that AFTER the decision is made.

Seriously... with the DWP you have no time for 'blissfully unaware'.....
    Well that is not my experience.

Following my first PIP claim and assessment I managed to get 0 points.
    I wrote to the DWP pointing out some of the inaccurate details. That letter was treated as the MR application. Over the following weeks/months or so I must have had at least half a dozen or more phone calls from the decision maker basically telling me what evidence he would like to have to back up my argument. In one phone call he even suggested the wording that my GP should use.
    Accordingly I saw my GP and told him  what the guy from the DWP wanted to see in a letter from him. There followed a 3 page GP report which I sent in and a few weeks later I was awarded Enhanced Care & Mobility.
    Effectively the DWP worked with me to try to get the right result. 
  • sarah50sarah50 Posts: 119Member Pioneering
    @jules13 6-8 weeks is what they say is an average time for a decision, in my case it was 3 months from them saying they had received the report. Hope you get your decision quicker and it is what you expect. X
  • mikehughescqmikehughescq Posts: 3,492Member - under moderation Disability Gamechanger
    Also to add to this debate.

Most people seem to think it's the Decision Maker at the DWP that makes the final decision, well I'm going to put you all right on this argument.

No it's not.

The assesssment and HP report is what a DWP decision maker will always go by.

But, in only 1% they might disagree with an assessment or HP. 

When they tell you at an assessment or a home assessment its down to the DWP decision maker is absolute rubbish.

All the DWP decision maker does is rubber stamp what has been put on the assessment report.

So yes it is vital to get the report as soon as it's a available so you can understand if you will or won't be awarded your benefit. That goes for ESA, PIP and DLA.

Then you will be prepaired if you will won't need to go down the road of a MR then appeal.

So. YES get the report as soon as you can no question about that contrary to what you've heard or read on this thread.

Given that most people get awards why would that be a bad thing?
  • tt2018tt2018 Posts: 7Member Listener
    I need help with pip anyone 
    tt2018 said:
    I need help with pip anyone 
    Hi,

I answered your question on another thread, it's here. Scroll to the bottom of this, it's where you asked your question.  https://community.scope.org.uk/discussion/30002/unable-to-walk-due-to-pain-should-i-apply-for-pip#latest

Sign in or join us to comment.