PIP being a lower award than DLA, should I appeal? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

PIP being a lower award than DLA, should I appeal?

jjRichie
jjRichie Community member Posts: 2 Listener
edited August 2018 in PIP, DLA, and AA
wo see if you can help I was in receipt of high rate d’la and mobility but since the introduction of PIP the have given low rate of mobility and enhance rate of dla is it worth me appealing for high rate again 

Comments

• Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @jjRichie and thank you to coming for the community about this! Many people have had this happen when moving from DLA to PIP. However, it may be worth looking at the PIP self- test online. This may will give you an indication of the score you *may* get and whether you match the criteria for the higher rate. Please do keep us updated and if you are appealing your decision then we are here to help :)
    Scope

• Yadnad
    Yadnad Posts: 2,856 Disability Gamechanger
    edited August 2018
    What you must keep in mind is that PIP is assessed in a way that is totally different to how DLA was.
    Therefore to try to compare what you had and what you get now is impossible.
    Many have gone from a low DLA award to enhanced under PIP, others who had a high DLA award are finding that they are only entitled to a low PIP award.
    There are some that had a high DLA award (mobility and care) who get absolutely nothing under PIP - their Motability goes back and their weekly money can drop by £200+ a week.

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,365 Disability Gamechanger
    jjRichie said:
    wo see if you can help I was in receipt of high rate d’la and mobility but since the introduction of PIP the have given low rate of mobility and enhance rate of dla is it worth me appealing for high rate again 
    DLA high rate mobility was different to Enhanced rate PIP. Are you claiming for physical or mental health? If it's physical then it totally depends on how far you can walk without pain. The PIp descriptor for 12 points is can stand or move 1 metre but no more than 20 metres aided or unaided, which is part E of moving around. Part F is can't stand or move either aided or unaided more than 1 metre and both of these will score you 12 points. Evidence will be needed.

If you decide to ask for a Mandatory Reconsideration then you have 1 month to request this. You will need to put the request in writing stating what you disagree with and where you think you should have scored those points. They will look at the whole award again, so you do risk losing everything you already have. Most MR decisions remain the same but you can also gain or lose points during this. If you decide this is what you want to do then i'd advise you to get some help with this. If the MR fails then it's Tribunal after that. CAB or any other local disability advice centre near you is a good place to start. Good luck.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.