Mild memory problems and DVLA not allowing me to drive despite GP saying otherwise — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Mild memory problems and DVLA not allowing me to drive despite GP saying otherwise

Options
maxmax1
maxmax1 Community member Posts: 3 Listener
edited August 2018 in Transport and travel
Does anyone have any useful information regarding driver medical group DVLA. Very briefly I was diagnosed with mild memory problems around three years ago. The extent of the problem is confined to perhaps mislaying something or forgetting the odd appointment and providing I maintain some lifestyle changes it is unlikely to progress. The DVLA have repeatedly refused me a driving license first citing medication as the issue and then after changing the medication citing memory problems. This is despite both my G.P. and my Consultant Psychiatrist stating I am fit to drive. I cannot appear to get anywhere with them and cannot afford to appeal via the legal system due to cost. I feel like I am a prisoner in my own home and I also have a physically disabled partner who could really benefit from me driving. Any suggestions would be welcomed.

Comments

• maxmax1
    Options
    will need to dig up a proper photo. Only joined today so this is new to me and I also have a computer allergy. I’m sure I will find my way around eventually.
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @maxmax1 and a warm welcome to the community! I hope you find it a supportive environment to give and receive support. I will move your post into the relevant section and hope that a member of the community can advise you on what to do next. Please do have a look around and get involved in any aspect that you want. If you need anything else then please do let me know! :) 
    Scope

• maxmax1
    Options
    Thank you for replying. As I said computers are not my strong point but I will get there. I have never had the courage yet to discuss what has happened to me and still find myself in a permanent state of disbelief thinking I shall wake up at any moment finding it’s all been a bad dream. Am considering sharing it even if it would help just one person not make the same disastrous mistake that I have unfortunately made.
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    You are more than welcome @maxmax1, I think you are doing great! You can share things with the community at your own pace so please don't feel like you have to. Sharing experiences can benefit others but it can also be good for yourself to write everything down :)
    Scope

• susan48
    susan48 Community member Posts: 2,221 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    @maxmax1, nice to meet you.

Everyone here on the site is here to listen and help you in anyway they can so we help each other.

Regarding your thread has your psychiatrist and GP writtten to the DVLA about your license. I’m not sure how it works to be honest. Maybe some professional advise might help too.

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,199 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi,
    Do you have it in writing that your Consultant has stated you're fit to drive? The DVLA don't just revoke or refuse a license, they would most likely have contacted your Consultant for evidence about your medical condition. Have you had a medical by the DVLA regarding your fitness to drive?
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • atlas46
    atlas46 Community member Posts: 826 Pioneering
    Options
    Hi @maxmax1

A very warm welcome.

Sorry to hear of your problems, about driving.

I have recent problems, which might be of assistance.

I was found to have a dodgy aorta, that needed surgery, as if it burst, I would not survive it.

In addition, I was told me to stop driving, which was a complete shock.

I contacted the DVLA medical group, who suggest that I volunteer to give up my license. Which I did.

I had the surgery and at follow up appointment with the surgeon, asked if I was fit to drive, he said I was and agreed he would write to me, to confirm same.

I contacted DVLA who sent me a form, they would not have the consultant letter.

I filled in the form and gave my GP, to confirm I was fit to drive.

I got my license back eventually, it was a long drawn out process.

When you say in your post my consultant and GP "have stated I can drive", was this in writing to you?

I would speak to both Doctors, to see if you can use them, to give contact details to DVLA .

Come back if you need more info.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.