Scooter class — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Scooter class

Drubien
Drubien Community member Posts: 2 Listener
Hi all,
I have just been reading that you need to notify dvla if you have a class 3 mobility scooters.

I have a second hand celebrity deluxe and all I can find in the instructions is that it is a class b scooter. Gov site etc only refer to class 2 and 3, so could any one tell me what a class b is equivalent to please.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• wilko
    wilko Community member Posts: 2,458 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello and welcome, I have had two scooters both glass three type. They have full lighting and indicators and the first could do 6 mph and my present can do 8mph so is road legal is registered with DVLA  I have insurance for it best to in this day of litagation. There is no requirement to have number plates but you can use your DVLA form to obtain them if you want. To answer your question does your scooter gave indecators and can it go 8mph this is a guide to say if it's a class three or not my previous one went 6mph and was classed as class3. As yo may well know you can only travel at 4mph maximum on pavements.
  • exdvr
    exdvr Community member Posts: 331 Pioneering

Hi @Drubien.  Welcome to the club.

If it's a Pride Celebrity scooter [now a discontinued model] it has a top speed of 6.25mph which makes it a Class 3.  Sorry but the only thing that I can find is from an American site stating that Class b refers to a moped/motorcycle type vehicle with an internal combustion engine, hardly a mobility scooter in UK terms.

Class 1…...manual wheelchair

Class 2…."pavement" scooter top speed 4mph.  Not allowed on the road except when there is no footpath.

Class 3….larger scooter with top speed over 4 but no more than 8mph.  These have extra fittings to be road legal and need to be registered with DVLA.

Hope this helps.. happy and safe scootering,

Best wishes.

DLTBGYD

• Drubien
    Drubien Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Thanks for the replies.
    It has got lights and indicators and, when new was capable of 6mph (now top speed is 4.1mph). I'll contact the dvla and ask for a ruling. Better safe than sorry.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.