If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.

May my son have a learning disability?

RedadamcRedadamc Posts: 1Member Listener
edited August 2018 in Learning difficulties
My son is almost 21 and has always had problems with his writing and spelling.  He is intelligent and is currently at university studying for a computer degree. He is at home at the moment and I asked him to write a letter for a job. His writing is illegible and when I asked him to type it up it was full of really easy spelling errors which he could not see. I have been thinking for some time that he may have some sort of learning disability and wanted to know how I would go about getting him tested.


  • Chloe_ScopeChloe_Scope Posts: 1,368Member Chatterbox
    Hi @Redadamc and a warm welcome to the community. I hope you find the answers that you are looking for. I would suggest a trip to the GP who may be able to point you in the right direction. Other community members may have some other ideas. 
    If you need anything else then please do not hesitate to be in touch :)
  • Pippa_ScopePippa_Scope Posts: 5,858Member Brian Blessed
    edited August 2018
    Welcome to the community, @Redadamc!

    MENCAP have some good advice online- a lot of it is tailored towards younger children, but there's some helpful guidance on the diagnostic process too. Have a read, and as Chloe mentioned, do consider seeing your GP with your son- they will be best placed to help. If this is something that's an issue, it may be worth looking into Disabled Students Allowance for some additional support at uni for him too.

    Wishing you all the best, and do keep us updated!
  • OwnedByASphynxOwnedByASphynx Posts: 2Member Listener
    Have a chat with student welfare support. They can let you know if they can refer or what outside service they would recommend. Since he is at uni he can be tested for Irlens which can affect how he reads and writes. 
Sign in or join us to comment.