About chronic pain — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

About chronic pain

Pin
Pin Community member Posts: 139 Pioneering
I don’t know if this is of interest but I wrote it recently about chronic pain. 

https://shesaid.com/the-equilateral/

Its very much from a bad day perspective but I’ve found it good for sharing with friends who know I’m in pain but don’t understand how that feels.

id love to hear what you think.

Comments

• Misscleo
    Misscleo Community member Posts: 647 Pioneering
    Dont know how you can get that message over.
    Most people dont want to know about pain.
    They havnt got any so they dont what you/anybody to tell them your in bad pain 
  • Pin
    I’ve found my friends to be pretty open to it and have “got it” in a way they don’t if I try to describe it to them. My friends are pretty brilliant anyway, but I think they have more of an idea now that if I cancel at the last minute or say I’m too tired to go out, it’s because I genuinely can’t.
  • cripps
    cripps Community member Posts: 412 Pioneering
    Hi ?, i totally understand how you feel because i myself suffer from chronic pain every day, I’ve tried talking to people and even my consultants but they all look at me like I’m on a different planet. Most of the time the response i get is it’s all in my head and to tell people i can’t do certain things is like I’m just making excuses or just after attention. It’s really depressing trying to get people to understand because like you say most people have never experienced pain like the existent that we have it. I wish you all the luck in the world getting this through and hopefully you will and if you ever need a back up give me a post. Love the post by the way. NC
  • Pin
    Thank you ❤️

I realise i am “lucky” because my pain is caused by surgical damage (among other things) so I’ve never had to fight my corner to be taken seriously. My consultants have been brilliant and done all they can, but really there’s not a lot they can do.

im sorry that’s the response you get, it’s not fair. A little empathy from people wouldn’t go amiss. 
  • Pippa_Alumni
    Pippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,793 Disability Gamechanger
    Thanks for sharing this @pin, a really insightful piece!

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.