e.s.a backdated arrears. — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

e.s.a backdated arrears.

al1b0y13
al1b0y13 Community member Posts: 13 Connected
i was moved from incapacity benefit to e.s.a(contribution)in 2012.i havent recieved any premiums ever nor any p.i.p.i got a letter on june 27th 2018 from dwp saying they needed to check to see if i was entitled to income related esa from may 2010.its been 7 weeks this friday since i filled in the esa3 over the phone.any help most appreciated.thanks.

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,333 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi,
    The Income Related top ups (premiums) will depend on circumstances. If you live with a partner that works more than 24 hours per week then you won't be entitled to them. If you don't then you will eventually be backdated to the date your were eligible for them.

PIP is a totally different benefit and has replaced DLA. It's totally different to the ESA you're talking about here. If you claim daily living PIP then it maybe possible to claim an extra premium on top of your ESA, again this will depend on circumstances.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • al1b0y13
    thanks for the reply Poppy 123456.i havent lived with a partner at any time during my benefits.i have and still am living alone and not receiving anything but contribution based esa.i think i am due back-dated arrears of enhanced disability premium,i dont know if i am due severe disability premium because isnt that only payable if one is on p.i.p?thanks again.
  • poppy123456
    Then you will be entitled to the Enhanced disability premium, which is £16.40 per week since April 2018, slightly less in previous years.

You need to be claiming either daily living PIP or mid/high rate care DLA to be able to claim the severe disability premium.

The only way to get your answer to how long it will take is to ring ESA and ask. Good luck.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • al1b0y13
    my goodness you reply very quickly much appreciated just if i may ask a couple of questions,first,can i expect to get any enhanced disability premium backdated to the day of my claim/being switched on to esa,and i am awaiting the reply from the dwp regards my arrears,so should i wait to fill in any p.i.p forms or do that now,thanks again,you do a great job.
  • poppy123456
    It should be backdated to the date you were eligible. The Enhanced disability premium won't help your PIP claim because it's completely different. Your PIP form will need to be returned with all your evidence by the date stated in the letter. They will give you an extra 14 days if you need it, just ring PIP and ask.
  • al1b0y13
    many many thanks poppy 123456.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.