Apps for speech to text — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Apps for speech to text

ms.muddle
ms.muddle Community member Posts: 3 Listener
Hello!  
I'm new here, I need help, in several respects and hope you may be able to give advice.
With prolapsed herniated neck disc distorting the nerve root in my neck, and highly suspected ADHD,  There are mountains of essential notes that I'm feeling could be my saving graces!
I am looking to the future and past to recognise that speech to function in/on the internet will be essential not just to me but everyone! 
Do any of this community have much experience with these? is it self taught? or are there free training resourses?

Comments

• Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    edited October 2018
    Hi and a warm welcome to the community. Thank you for sharing this with us all. What is the exact area of training that you are wanting? 
    Please do have a look around and get involved with anything that you find interesting :)
    Scope

• ms.muddle
    speech to txt writing options and functions, apps and training to use them.
  • Ami2301
    Ami2301 Community member Posts: 7,942 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Scopebetter
    I currently am in the process of waiting for an iPad with speech to text function as I am deaf. I have heard of an app called DragonAnywhere which provides the speech to text function but that's all I know about it.
    Disability Gamechanger - 2019
  • ms.muddle
    As I understand Dragonspeak has a large collection of words that you need to input for it to understand you.  Im not deaf and thanks for your input, but wonder (and it could be naive) that if you are deaf it may not always record the same, wonder if you need to be able to hear what you are speaking? Just a thought you may need to take  up with dragonspeak themselves or research before investing?
  • Ami2301
    Ami2301 Community member Posts: 7,942 Disability Gamechanger
    I will be using it so that others are able to communicate with me instead of writing things down all the time. Someone has used the app with me ages ago but it was only OK. I know mobiles nowadays already have the speech to text function but I am partially blind so they are too small to see.
    Disability Gamechanger - 2019
  • janpiper
    janpiper Community member Posts: 3 Listener
    The Dragon software tunes to individual voices.  It is sometimes a little frustrating in the beginning and you do have to make amendments.  But remember it is a learning software so it will get better the more you use it.  My daughter uses this she is 11 and can only write a few sentences.  There isn't really anything else suitable.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.