PIP and ESA Assessment query — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

PIP and ESA Assessment query

lukiz94
lukiz94 Community member Posts: 10 Listener
Hi after waiting what seems forever for my ESA assessment I was informed about and then applied for PIP, after sending back my PIP2 form I have since received an appointment for an ESA assessment, my question is:
If my PIP assessment comes first and is awarded will that automatically entitle me to ESA?
(Basically can I postpone the ESA assessment and if awarded PIP not have to go to it?) thank you! Sorry if answer is obvious I’m new to this

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,322 Disability Gamechanger
    edited August 2018
    Hi,

Unfortunately not, because they're different benefits with different criteria. You can cancel the ESA assessment but you can only do this once. If you don't attend then you'll be found fit for work for failing to attend. Good luck for both.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • wilko
    wilko Community member Posts: 2,458 Disability Gamechanger
    In my case after my PIP acessment I was due to go for an ESA acessment but when I enquired about transport I was informed that a decision had been made so no need for acessment as I was being ed in surport group.
  • lukiz94
    lukiz94 Community member Posts: 10 Listener
    @poppy123456 @wilko thank you both for the response, when I looked online at the gov website it said other things I’m entitled to if I get PIP and ESA was one of the things listed, I would know what I was doing if my area wasn’t full UC! :s I know cancelling once would only be a slim chance the ESA assessment date falls after the PIP decision but would it mean it’s possible for them to say well you have PIP so you don’t need your first f2f ESA assessment? After the stories I’ve been reading I would do anything to avoid the ESA assessment ? 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,322 Disability Gamechanger
    What is say on the citizens advice website is "you might get a top up called a premium if you claim PIP and ESA daily living is one of the benefits listed. I cna't find any website for gov.uk stating what benefits PIP entitles you to.

Most people have face 2 face assessments for ESA and PIP because it's rare to have a paper based assessment. I can see your logic but unfortunately that's not how it works.

Have you taken a look at the ESA descriptors for both groups? See them here.

Reg 29 and 35 explained here.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.