Could my son have autism? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Could my son have autism?

laurenp93
laurenp93 Community member Posts: 3 Listener
edited August 2018 in Autism and neurodiversity
Hi! New here, looking for a bit of support and advice with my 8 year old son. We think he has a form of autism. His mental age seems a lot younger than his actual age the majority of the time! Been accepted for the referral just waiting for his first appointment in November. Can be so hard at times ?

Comments

• Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @laurenp93 and a very warm welcome to the community! It is good to hear that you have been accepted for a referral, unfortunately these things can take time. Please do have a look around the community and get involved with anything you find interesting. Are you or your son currently getting any support? It is completely understandable that it can be hard at times! I hope you have a lovely evening :)
    Scope

• laurenp93
    laurenp93 Community member Posts: 3 Listener
    No not much support unfortunately! I know they take a lot of time I was amazed when he got accepted within 3 weeks of sending the referral form off! I know nothing will change but I just don’t how to deal with some of the things he does, we are going through ‘accidents’ again at the moment. At least once a day. I don’t know how to make it stop or how to deal with it without a professional telling me how. At least the ball is rolling now though hopefully we will get there! I’m glad to have found scope and hopefully get some support when we need it ❤️
  • Debzs
    Debzs Community member Posts: 35 Courageous
    Pleased to meet you, everybody lovely on this forum and there's a wealth of information amongst all members, I have 3autistic grandchildren they are my world, I understand the difficulties, such a massive spectrum,all three of grandchildren have different symptoms, Asperger's syndrome very similar, yous will be assessed and needs will be identified,my daughter has a fab support network,it seems a hard slog at times, ye gotta stay positive and accept the meetings and appointments and all the people that will come into your life are there to help your son, good luck x
  • lizzie21
    lizzie21 Community member Posts: 1 Connected
    The system is Soo cruel. Try to stay strong , it isn't ok that you feel like you are fighting alone. My heart is with you all. I can only say as an ex worker privaledged to work with children with sen and young offenders, it feels as if you are totally abandoned by everyone. You are not! Coming onto this site will give you so much information and share the angst. You know your child best. Read up as much as you can, for what it's worth sending energising love. You must be a blooming awesome parent to have gotten this far.xx
  • Matt29
    Matt29 Community member Posts: 3 Connected
    We felt very lonely until we met with some other parents with special needs kids.  Remember you know your child better than anyone else so if you get advise amend it to suit your child.  Also don't be afraid to challenge health professionals, at first we would leave the paediatricans feeling we had learnt nothing and had no progress or plan to improve our child's behaviour, after we complained she actually got us some good strategies two help.  But for advice now try National Autistic Society.  Ask Scope if they know of any local support groups in your area.  Post on scope details of what problem behaviour you are getting most likely someone on here will have been through something similar.  Routine very important to both my boys when they were 8 (now 12 & 17).  Also ask primary school for advice they have probably had autistic kids before.   Hope something here helps.
  • kjdudman
    kjdudman Community member Posts: 4 Listener
    @Matt29
    Hi Matt. Your post really resonated with me. Our son has just turned 3 and not long his 1st paediatrician appointment where she thinks he has autistic traits but she can’t be sure and will assess in 6 months.

I’m on this webpage trying to navigate through things and we are struggling in all sorts of ways

Would love to chat 

Kate 

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.