Any advice ESA lost premiums due to UC — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Any advice ESA lost premiums due to UC

Options
carlan77
carlan77 Community member Posts: 3 Listener
Hi this is my first post. I was in receipt of IR ESA and enhanced PIP both care and mobility which meant I also received the premiums of enhanced and severe disability . I have no non dependants and nobody claimed carers allowance. 

Unfortunately due to marital disputes and child custody court case and continued to be on receiving end of verbal abuse that I moved area permantly on 29th April 2018.   I contacted the local authority to claim housing and council tax benefit. I was told I had to claim housing costs through Universal Credit. I asked if that would affect my other benefits and was told no. Clearly that was not the case and I lost IR ESA and premiums. 

After reading about the 2 gentlemen who took DWP to court and won their SDP amount back I wondered where I stand ? Will the DWP be contacting anyone who has lost these premiums or will each individual claiment have to take the DWP to court  ?
Any advice or information would be greatly appreciated. 

CarolAnne

Comments

• Ripples
    Ripples Community member Posts: 189 Pioneering
    Options
    You were poorly advised @carlan77 as you are now aware moving to a UC area triggers the need to claim housing costs through Universal Credit. Once you are on UC there is no return. Next year it is proposed that those on IR ESA will be migrated to UC   which will keep them on an equivalent amount to what they are receiving at that time ( preserved benefit).
    I haven't seen anywhere that they will apply this retrospectively to those who have been forced to claim UC  by changes in circumstance such as yours. 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,985 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    You are right there is talk that those that were claiming SDP with their ESA and had to move to UC because of a change of circumstances will be given backdated money. At the moment there's no plans in place and it will most likely be sometime during the autumn that we will hear what happens next. Once they announcement is made and the plans are in place then i'm sure DWP will contact those that were affected. Until they do this then unfortunately there's nothing you can do but wait.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • carlan77
    carlan77 Community member Posts: 3 Listener
    Options
    Thank you both for replies. It took me quite a while to sort everything out because I also received carers allowance as my son has autism. So when my estranged husband took the children and subsequently to court claiming residency I became more unwell. 
    It was when I read the article regarding the 2 men that it all fell into place. 
    I’ll look for it coming up. Its good to know that I had read it correct. When I asked the question to a DWP staff member they just kept telling me there was no way back. I’ve read that much about it now I’ll be able to advise others with ESA questions. Keep me busy and my mind off the back pain

Thanks CarolAnne

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.