Housing, are we being discriminated against because of our age? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Housing, are we being discriminated against because of our age?

Sharonmoriarty
Sharonmoriarty Community member Posts: 1 Listener
Hi I live a adapted flat because of all my illness it is a one bedroom my partner lives a 2 bedroom large flat we are on homes 4u as we want to give up both our propertys and explained we would like a 2 bedroom bungalow they have put us on gold plus because of my illness and all the medical letters they have had they said we can bid on 2 bedroom bungalow so when they come out we bid but now they keep telling us we can't have them because we are to young my partner is 54 and I am coming up 52 we put in for a 2 bedroom bungalow a few weeks ago and wasn't offered it now this week the bungalow is back in the homes 4 u as nobody wanted it I am mostly house bond due to my ill health and all we want is to give up both properties and live a quite life but I think we are being discriminated because of our age please can you help in any way thank you so much Sharon Gannon. 

Comments

• thespiceman
    thespiceman Community member Posts: 6,388 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @Sharonmoriarty   Pleased to meet you welcome.

Thank you for sharing you story. I am unsure of an  answer to your question. Some one from the community will advice or a member of our team.

Have you contacted CAB they might be offer some advice and a solution.  As they deal with housing issues and problems. Consider looking at there website for information.

Want to welcome you and just add we are friendly supportive community. Who care and share.

Ask the community some one will listen.

Hope that helps

Take care

@thespiceman
    Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
    Recipes
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    edited August 2018
    Hi @Sharonmoriarty and a warm welcome to the community! The advice given above is great. I hope the community is also able to offer some thoughts on this. I wish you the very best of luck and please do keep us updated :)
    Scope

• Ripples
    Ripples Community member Posts: 189 Pioneering
    Are the homes you are bidding on detailed as 55+ or 60+ ? Some councils have strict criteria for certain properties.
  • Geoark
    Geoark Community member Posts: 1,463 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Sharonmoriarty and welcome to the community.

As @Ripples said, if the property are designated older people dwellings then no there is no discrimination going on.

Also because the property reappears this does not mean that there is no interest in it. While the numbers can vary, once the bidding period has finished the property will be taken off, the bid highest on the waiting list will be offered the property.

Because many people do not understand how choice based letting works they often bid on properties they do not want. This can be because of the area it is in, lack of amenities or local transport, they find it is too far from the support they currently enjoy, or there is something about the property which they don't like. In our area they will offer it to the next two highest bidders before putting it back on the list to be let.

It is important you understand how to read the advert you are interested in and you can see a sample and explanation of what some of the signs mean at https://www.home4u.org.uk/uploads/SUGjuly2018.pdf you should be able to find one for your area.

There are some other issues you might also want to consider and look into before bidding on a property, depending on what is important to you.

Home shopping, if housebound you might depend on homeshopping, does your normal store deliver to you?

Internet / Cable TV if you enjoy these it is worth checking if they will be available in the area you are moving to. While I live in the centre of London and all our neighbours can have cable tv on our estate it is not available.

Google maps can be a good source of information on items like what is local, nearest transport etc. As well as getting a good idea of where it actually is.

Good luck in finding a new home for you both.

As an individual I stood alone.
    As a member of a group I did things.
    As part of a community I helped to create change!

• Suzanne_HFAut54
    Suzanne_HFAut54 Community member Posts: 14 Connected
    I don't think you should give up after this disappointment. Speak to your local councillor and local MP particularly the latter. If yiur medical condition is likely to deteriorate further then the boundaries of the criteria can be moved. If your partner is involved with your care that should count towards eligibility too. My ex was Irish and he entered into a special sheltered housing scheme at aged 55. Some housing associations have titallt different criteria from council properties. It will be a different kind of tenancy though perhaps less secure and liable to extra charges. All these things should be taken into consideration when bidding. 

If your partner is surrendering a large two bed flat and you have an adapted flat, l can't see why you wouldn't be favoured for a transfer because a family will be able to use his flat and yours will benefit an older resident who needs those adaptations. As mentioned already you need to acquire a housing champion. Get an appointment with your ward councillor or MP. Bring as much medical evidence, details of your case as you can and be clear about what you want them to do on your behalf. Councillors no's , surgery times and places are usually in your borough councils website.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.