If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.

Struggling to read my bank card- any thoughts?

SystemSystem Posts: 293 Scope community team
This discussion was created from comments split from: My council are breaking the law and ignoring my complaints.

Replies

• DaffodilDaffodil Posts: 5Member Listener
    I have a similar problem with Lloyds Bank.  My bank card is illegible because the numbers and letters are raised and silver and, because my eyesight is poor, I cannot read it.  I have requested a clear card (black letters on light background, perhaps?) for some time now. Have officially complained, have approached the Ombudsman, but to no avail.  I regularly mis-quote my numbers or letters and this has caused considerable confusion and frustration.  They simply refuse to contemplate giving me a card that I can read. 
  • Chloe_ScopeChloe_Scope Posts: 1,368Member Chatterbox
    Hi @Daffodil and welcome to the community! I am sorry to hear that your sight is making this difficult. I have created a new discussion in the hope of finding an answer for you. Have you contacted RNIB about this? Do you know Braille? I know you can get Braille stickers for cards
  • mikehughescqmikehughescq Posts: 3,149Member Brian Blessed

I think there are a number of options here.

1) I would forget about the Ombudsman (FSO) and instead consider making a formal complaint under the Equality Act 2010 and ask for a 'reasonable adjustment'.

2) You could switch to a financial institution which does in fact produce such things as accessible cards like RBS for example. Have a read of https://www.rbs.com/rbs/news/2015/03/simple-changes-making-big-differences.html.

3) If you haven't already done so you could also consider a referral for a low vision assessment in order to secure the loan of aids which would assist with things like reading card numbers.

4) I have used the phone on my camera to photograph my card; crop and magnify it. It's possible to copy those photos into the Notes app on a phone and then password protect it. When I need it I just use the password to unlock it and can read it easily. I suspect this would get most banks off the hook when it comes to EA 10 challenges. It's easy to do and solves the problem in most cases. In some light I have also carefully used the torch on my phone to read the numbers.

Hello.  Thanks for all the suggestions.  My main problem is that the numbers are raised and glinting silver. In some lights, with some numbers virtually rubbed off, they present as other numbers.  A renewed card would not help.  I think the 'reasonable adjustment' would be the way to go. But it is irksome that visually impaired people should go 'through hoops' due to the neglect of large companies such as Lloyds Bank.
  • chrisvanfchrisvanf Posts: 59Member Whisperer
    If you write the numbers down large enough for you to read, then put it in your purse/wallet, for when you need it.

The problem with changing card layout is that ATM'S worldwide are designed to read a standard format card,     
    Edited, re-edited, bits added, bits taken out spellchecked then edited again, 
    chrisvanf said:
    If you write the numbers down large enough for you to read, then put it in your purse/wallet, for when you need it.

The problem with changing card layout is that ATM'S worldwide are designed to read a standard format card,     
    And when it falls out of the wallet? 

Truly a bad idea.
    edited October 2018
    @mikehughescq
    Not a bad idea, you are only writing the 16 numbers down not your entire credit history
    A potential solution to a problem is never a bad idea.

• SharonHearnSharonHearn Posts: 13Member Whisperer
    I'm not sure if you would be able to find something on here that could help you?

Sharon

Do you know how few sort codes software has to work through to identify one that works with your card? It’s not enough for it to take more than 15 seconds. 

Many of us with VIs would also not see anything which dropped out of our wallet. It’s a very bad idea
    edited October 2018
    @mikehughescq
    It's still not a bad idea, just one that you don't like, or can pick fault with.

Er, if someone can pick a really obvious fault with it then by definition it’s a bad idea. 

Friend who works in banking security has just pointed out to me that there isn’t a bank in the UK which would accept a claim of fraud if it transpired that in all seriousness you had written your full account number and just left it in your wallet.

I’ve also been corrected. Apparently anyone with the right software can crack your sort code in under 5 seconds and your security code in less than 3. 
  • Cheshire2Cheshire2 Posts: 12Member Whisperer
    I wear distance spectacles and found it a nuisance constantly swapping to my reading glasses at work when trying to read bank cards or driving licences.   I have used these 3 ideas, hope they help somebody else.

I bought a small magnifying glass key fob which I always carry.   Good enough to whip out to read a couple of numbers.   Scratched terribly with use, but have never seen another for sale.

At other times I carried a cheap plastic magnifier in my pocket.   Less vulnerable than repeatedly handling expensive reading glasses.

I have a Brother label printer.   My version is a few years old but will print quite large black letters on 9 or 12mm white tape.   Often see them in high street stationers for around £20.   Could possibly print the number and stick it in a blank area of the card, avoiding the black stripe, chip etc.   I have one stuck to my mobile with the phone number so I can quote it without searching through menus!
    (Or use a self -adhesive label.)
  • dodydody Posts: 14Member Whisperer
    Daffodil said:
    Hello.  Thanks for all the suggestions.  My main problem is that the numbers are raised and glinting silver. In some lights, with some numbers virtually rubbed off, they present as other numbers.  A renewed card would not help.  I think the 'reasonable adjustment' would be the way to go. But it is irksome that visually impaired people should go 'through hoops' due to the neglect of large companies such as Lloyds Bank.
    I agree with you Daffodil. It's a trips I've had with the banks for a long time. I also have a poor memory, and one bank person said ' it helps if you memorize it!' Yeah! I should be so lucky!
  • dodydody Posts: 14Member Whisperer
    Sorry...That should have read gripe ... Didn't notice the predictive change in time! Another gripe!!
    Thanks for that.  Its nice to know there are others with the same predicament. I have, however, had a message from someone called 'James' from Lloyds on my Facebook page asking me to 'message' him about the problem.  I don't know how to 'message' on Facebook, so I can't do it.  But I don't hold out much hope of a change of heart from Lloyds.
  • Pippa_ScopePippa_Scope Posts: 5,239Administrator Scope community team
    Hi @Daffodil, not sure how helpful this will be but Lloyds have a webpage on their accessibility and disability practice here. 

If you're struggling to message on Facebook, it may be worth contacting them in another way and explaining the situation.

Hi.  Thanks Pippa.  It would help if the gentleman who contacted me would give me his full name?  Very strange, I thought.

• Sam_ScopeSam_Scope Posts: 6,791Administrator Scope community team
    edited October 2018
    Hi @Daffodil
    Please be careful with contacting anyone online about your bank account, if you want to speak to someone, then call them directly on 0345 602 1997

@mikehughescq please ensure you are sensitive in your responses, disagreements and debates will happen but we want the community to be a safe and supportive place. Please make sure your messages respect other users’ views and suggestions, even if you don’t agree with them. Take care to present your views tactfully.
    Scope
    Senior online community officer
Sign in or join us to comment.