Pip washing and bathing — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Pip washing and bathing

petitegal
petitegal Community member Posts: 10 Listener
edited August 2018 in PIP, DLA, and AA
Hi please can anyone help. I have multiple illnesses. I cannot get points for needing asaistance to get in and out of the bath or shower. Firstly i have arthritis in my back and hips, so need help due to pain and stiffness and i have sciatica. I also need help as i have eczema and use greesy creams to wash and bath. Therefore i struggle to get in and out of the bath with fear of slipping. It is not safe to get into bath or shower without assistance.
The DWP Hcp says because i can get into a car that this indicated adequate hip abduction to do this. Indicating that i would be able to get into a bath therefore for the purpose of pip on balance of probability it is resonable to sugest that i would be able to complete this task with aids only. Reliably repeatably and to an acceptable standard. I have askes for a mr and was given 2 points. What do people think of this? Tia

Comments

• Yadnad
    Yadnad Posts: 2,856 Disability Gamechanger
    Thinking bout this situation and whilst I had an OT assessment the consequence of which resulted in amongst many other things, an electric bath chair that lowers me into and out of the bath I was still able, when I used to drive, fall into the drivers seat. However when trying to get out of the car I had to have help to pull me out and then support me in an upright position.

So in a way the assessor does have a point although only half of one!
  • petitegal
    Yes it is much harder to get up than get doen i find this myself
  • Pin
    Pin Community member Posts: 139 Pioneering
    Honestly, it does sound fair? With appropriate aids you could safely do this - ie grab rails etc? Is this the only part of the report you disagree with?
  • petitegal
    I am more at risk of falling and slipping due to haveing to soak in greasy creams. Because i lay in the bath for 15 mins i am also stiff to get up and do need assistance. 
  • Matilda
    Matilda Community member Posts: 2,593 Disability Gamechanger
    There is the reliability factor.  You might be able to get in and out of the bath using aids.  But you might not be able to do this reliably, i.e. safely and in no more time than it would take an average person.  If you cannot complete a task reliably, then this counts as your not being able to complete the task at all.

Try to get some f2f advice from CAB or similar, or phone Scope Helpline.

Disability Rights UK describes reliability criteria.
  • Pin
    Would grab rails not help with that though? Are there other parts of the report you disagree with?
  • petitegal
    Of course i have thats why i am saying i need assistance. . 
  • Yadnad
    Yadnad Posts: 2,856 Disability Gamechanger
    Pin said:
    Would grab rails not help with that though? Are there other parts of the report you disagree with?
    To be honest there is little when involving any physical activity problem that cannot be overcome with an appropriate aid.
    Grab rails as one are brilliant. I have them next to every doorway on both floors of the house as well as outside both the front and back doors with a second handrail on the stairs which also helps.
  • Pin
    Yadnad said:
    Pin said:
    To be honest there is little when involving any physical activity problem that cannot be overcome with an appropriate aid.
    Grab rails as one are brilliant. I have them next to every doorway on both floors of the house as well as outside both the front and back doors with a second handrail on the stairs which also helps.
    I’m not trying to be harsh OP, just from what you’ve said their giving you 2 points makes sense. So perhaps give your evidence but focus on the other descriptors too? Also you need to tell them you’ve fallen etc. 

Good luck, I hope you’re able to get some advice.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.