Claiming ESA, have never worked before or claimed any benefits, help needed! — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Claiming ESA, have never worked before or claimed any benefits, help needed!

Options
joejoe72
joejoe72 Community member Posts: 1 Listener
I am helping M, my brother in law with his ESA claim. 

He has Cerebral Palsy and suffers from anxiety and depression. He does get DLA but only the Mobility part, he does not claim for any other benefits and never has. 

M is 31 years old and never worked apart from a 2 week period working as a temp worker for Tesco 8 years ago. 

He has never claimed any benefits such as Jobseekers or ESA but is now making a claim for ESA. 

M last saw a doctor 1 year ago...in response to M explaining how he was depressed and suffering from anxiety the Dr told him that he should get married and then he would not have the time to be thinking so much. This response was witnessed by M's mother and the Dr was not joking around as he asked M's mother why he isn't married...he then offered a card with some numbers for counselling and said that he'd heard they were good. It's worth noting that the Dr was a Pakistani Muslim and M's father is from Pakistan, (M's name is Mohammed). The Dr's response has made M resistant to visiting the GP to obtain a fit note - or even if he would be able to get one. 

As he has never earned enough contributions I'm guessing the ESA would be on income related!

There are some areas of the form that he's struggling with. 

He is unable to work mainly due to anxiety and although we have talked about him applying for benefits for a long time it's taken around 5 years to get the point where he's actually starting to fill the ESA form out!

Comments

• thespiceman
    thespiceman Community member Posts: 6,388 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hello @joejoe72   Pleased to meet you welcome.

Thank you for sharing. I am sorry what has happened to your brother in law. It is great to hear you are giving him support.

May I also add I am shocked about the Doctors demeanour and attitude. The most important thing right now is how as a community can we help and advise

May I suggest have a look at our benefit advice and information. Lots of useful things to know.

Also may I add have you spoken to CAB  for trying to get them to help with form filling in and have a wealth of knowledge and expertise.

Understand the problems with the Doctor and cultural differences and, issues around it. I would seek a different Doctor to help your brother in law

If that is a solution.. Another would be to complain.  If you wish to do that.

We are a supportive friendly community. Care and share.

Hope that helps.

Take care

@thespiceman
    Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
    Recipes
  • Liam_Alumni
    Liam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 1,101 Pioneering
    Options
    Hi @joejoe72,

Welcome to Scope's online community!

I'm sorry to hear about the problems that your brother-in-law is having. As @thespiceman says, Citizens Advice have lots of information and advice available and may be able to help with the ESA claim. They also have a handy page about filling the ESA50 form on their website, which you may find useful.

I've also moved this post into our dedicated ESA category, so other members of our community can offer their advice and support.

I hope this helps. If you have any other questions then please do get in touch!
    Liam

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.