9 Month Pip Award — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

9 Month Pip Award

Chixie96
Chixie96 Community member Posts: 9 Listener
Please help just got copy of ass report, all good looks like im getting enhanced both {fingers crossed} but she has put review in 9 moths but does not expect me to be any better by then? so why just 9 months do i have to go through all of this again in 9 months? so appreciate your help advise or input please

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,360 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi,
    Reviews are done 1 year before the award is due to end so i'm not sure why it states review in 9 months. 

For PIP you must have had the condition for at least 3 months and expect it to last a further 9 months at least. Are you sure it states a review in 9 months and not that they don't expect your difficulties to last at least 9 months? I've heard of this happening before a couple of times, if they don't expect a condition to last at least 9 months then no award will be given, despite the points awards. 
    Have another read of the report again to see exactly what it states. Somewhere at the end of the report there will be boxes with dots/ticks and it will state the functional restriction affecting the daily living activities identified in this report is likely to remain for … and the options are..... no functional restrictions present, less than 9 months, not applicable and at least 9 months. Which one of those is ticked? This may give an answer as to why there's a 9 month review. 
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Chixie96
    Thank you so much for helping me, I have a 9 month review because im waiting on pain clinic as she knows, the box she ticked was yes she still expects me to have functional restrictions after this time of review thats what is confusing me, any help id so appreciate

• Chixie96
    so by giving me 9 moths to see pain clinic she advise to review again but expects no change

• Chixie96
    Oh she did say had for three months and does expect to last a further 9 months @ least
  • poppy123456
    I've never heard of a review in 9 months before. My guess is, you'll have a 2 year award with a review after 1 year because reviews take place 1 year before the award ends. 
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • Chixie96
    Thank you can i ask would they normally do paper review or face to face ?
  • poppy123456
    Most people have another face 2 face assessment, even for a review. 
  • Chixie96
    Thank you the box ticked said to last @ least 9 months but does not expect any change after that, she has stated review years left blank months 9 maybe will work out better for me fingers crossed
  • Yadnad
    Yadnad Posts: 2,856 Disability Gamechanger
    I've never heard of a review in 9 months before. My guess is, you'll have a 2 year award with a review after 1 year because reviews take place 1 year before the award ends. 
    This is part of the instructions given to decision makers when considering the length of an award

5. The award period options for you to consider are:

On-going award
    These are made where the claimant’s health condition(s) and needs arising are very unlikely to improve. The Award Review date will always be 10 years from the assessment date.

Longer Fixed Term award (LFT)
    The award period can be for a minimum of 2 years up to a maximum of 10 years. You must set the end date of the award for 12 months after the review date.

Short Fixed Term award (SFT) – With Review
    These are for a maximum of 2 years. You’ll set the review date for 1 year after the consultation. You must set the end date of the award for 12 months after the review date.

Short Fixed Term award (SFT) - No Review
    These are without Award Reviews. They can be for a minimum of 9 months and up to a maximum of 2 years.

You will note that a 9 month short fixed term award can be made for 9 months. This comes with no review - the claimant has to re-apply for PIP themselves.

• clarabelle
    clarabelle Community member Posts: 71 Courageous
    Fill details are available here
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/x3fv4m8i81jlbgs/1537460692521_CBP-7820 (2).pdf?dl=0

It sounds like they areally saying the pain clinic might be able to help with pain management - that doesn't necessarily mean there will be an improvement in functioning.   Have a look at the criteria for diagnosis 
  • Yadnad
    Fill details are available here
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/x3fv4m8i81jlbgs/1537460692521_CBP-7820 (2).pdf?dl=0

It sounds like they areally saying the pain clinic might be able to help with pain management - that doesn't necessarily mean there will be an improvement in functioning.   Have a look at the criteria for diagnosis 
    What an absolute load of bunkum in my opinion. The use of could, should etc implies that no one is really on top of the problem and it is highly doubtful that it will ever get any better.
    As for identifying who should get an ongoing award with a 'light touch' at 10 years, the decision as to who should qualify has once again been left open to the assessor in their advice to the Case Manager.
    Personally I did the right thing in puling out of the system. All of my medical advisors tell me that I have some chronic conditions that will not improve and two are of a life limiting diagnosis. None of that matters it seems unless I was awarded the Enhanced rates of PIP in the first place.

It still comes down to the assessing and the decision making which in my experience has been extremely poor for the past three assessments. 
  • clarabelle
    clarabelle Community member Posts: 71 Courageous
    Yep,,I agree. However, if you make a subject access request to get copies of the arid and do decision makers paperwork then you can challenge their decisions using case law... stressful but worth it.  I've just put in a complaint to the nursing midwifery council about the at is nurse in terms of fitness to practice. ..  I think the dwp just hope we f**k off into a corner and die
  • sarah50
    sarah50 Community member Posts: 119 Pioneering
    @clarabelle it certainly feels like that doesn't it. Personally curling up in a corner and dying has its attractions at the moment, since making subject access requests, legal arguments downloading guidelines trying to prove my case is so far beyond me it all seems pointless.
  • Yadnad
    sarah50 said:
    @clarabelle it certainly feels like that doesn't it. Personally curling up in a corner and dying has its attractions at the moment, since making subject access requests, legal arguments downloading guidelines trying to prove my case is so far beyond me it all seems pointless.
    I agree. Trying to find a half decent welfare rights rep to do this work for you is almost impossible in some areas 

Don't feel a failure, myself and many others are feeling the same and are so overwhelmed with the whole system that for the sake of sanity they just give up.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.