My son is unemployed and didn't get PIP, help? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

My son is unemployed and didn't get PIP, help?

Mum72
Mum72 Community member Posts: 8 Listener
edited September 2018 in Autism and neurodiversity
My adult son is autistic and has been unemployed for many years! He`s now 50 years old and living on 73.10 per week! At present he`s on ESA because of recent operation on his knee and will need to see an orthopaedic surgeon because of problems now with his right knee! Used to be on DLA because of his autism, now failed PIP and gets nothing for his disability! Very concerned and anxious!

Comments

• thespiceman
    thespiceman Community member Posts: 6,388 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @Mum72   Pleased to meet you welcome.

Thank you for sharing and I am sorry what has happened.

You have come to the right place how can we as a community advise.? Give you support.?

Something to consider look at our posts, information advice on Talk about Specific Conditions.   ASD. 

Could be worth a call to CAB they can advise on a range of benefit enquiries.

We are a friendly  community. Care and share.

Hope that helps.

Take care

@thespiceman

Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
    Recipes
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    edited August 2018
    Hi @Mum72 and welcome to the community! Thank you for taking the time to share this with us. Did you ever appeal the PIP decision? It may be worth taken a look at the PIP self- help test to see what kind of points your son could have received. Also, DLA and PIP are two different benefits which assess different things, this is why your son may have got DLA more easily. I hope other members of the community can help too :)
    Scope

• BenefitsTrainingCo
    BenefitsTrainingCo Community member Posts: 2,621 Pioneering

Mum72
    Mum72,

Hi there, first of all I agree that it's important to try to challenge the PIP decision. It could be wrong. You can get help from organisations like the Citizens Advice Bureau, but I agree that the self test is good to use as well, so you can understand how PIP works.

As far as his ESA is concerned, when did he claim it? Has he had an assessment (as work capability assessment?) If he's had been on ESA for some time I would expect him to get more than this. If he's in the support group, he should get quite a bit more, and if he's in the work-related activity group, it will depend on how long he's been claiming. It's worth using the self-test for ESA too. If he gets 15 points, he has limited capability for work, & the test goes on to look at whether he also has limited capability for work-related activity, which is what we also call the support group.

If he's not getting the right level of ESA and he's already had the assessment for that, then maybe you need to challenge that decision too?

Finally, I don't know if he has any housing costs? That gets complicated because of Universal Credit so I'll leave that for the moment, but do let us know a little bit more & we can help to point you in the right direction, hopefully.

Will
    The Benefits Training Co:

• Mum72
    Mum72 Community member Posts: 8 Listener
    Benefits Training co: I have contacted my MP because I have been going round in circles with these problems! He has been on ESA for quite a few weeks as he had a problem with his knee and had surgery at the beginning of May and while he was waiting went through a mandatory reconsideration when they finally put him on it but only at the same rate as JSA (basic) He is now getting the same problems with his right leg and has been referred by GP to an orthopaedic surgeon aqain! Never mind the fact that he has Autism, they have not awarded it for that! He now has to go again for a health assessment which I know they will put him back on JSA which he can`t cope with, looking for work and signing on etc. They will stop the ESA straight away and I will have to claim JSA for him again! I`ve been through this before and it`s crazy! I can`t seem to prove he has Autism because he`s high-functioning apart from the last couple of years with his knee problems and evidence I gave them from GP and hospital scan results etc.  I have just given my son`s GP a letter requesting a letter from her to say my son has problems because of autism and also to mention his knee problem on his right leg! Wish me luck but I`m so stressed and in my 70`s and should not have to spend all my latter years fighting for my son! What will happen to him when I`m not here anymore! He must have more than 73.10 to live on!
    My MP also advised me to claim for PIP and if they turn him down he will step in!

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.