Happy Smiles disability awareness project! — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Happy Smiles disability awareness project!

AlexHappySmiles
AlexHappySmiles Community member Posts: 2 Listener

As a teacher and part-time carer for young people with disabilties for nearly ten years, I have recently set up a Facebook page that I plan to aim at promoting the stories of people with perceived disabilities and particularly sharing the positive aspects of their lives. 

I aim to promote the stories of people with disabilities, showing off what they CAN do, not what they CAN’T. I hope to educate our community and the world on how to effectively include everyone in our society. Too often I see people from young children to adults, who are scared, condescending or confused around someone with a perceived disability. I hope to change this, starting with the videos I have been sharing. 

I have started by sharing videos of two young people, both with Cerebral Palsy and other complex needs. These videos have since reached over 50,000 people in three weeks. The page just reached 1000 followers and appeared in the local paper, which is exciting! I would love to be able to share the stories of as many young people as possible in the same way and help to educate the world on how to be a more inclusive place. This is being done via social media platforms, mainly our Facebook page, with the addition of an Instagram page. 

https://www.facebook.com/happysmilesblog

I hope to create a more inclusive world and believe that these small actions can make a big difference.   

If you know anyone who might like to share their story, please get in touch! 

Keep Smiling 

Alex

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Disclaimer

Our website contains links to third parties’ websites for your information only.

We have no control over the content of those sites or resources and we don’t endorse or accept liability for the content of them.

Read the full Terms and Conditions and our Community House Rules.