I have ASD and dyslexia and I need support and care. How do I get it? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

I have ASD and dyslexia and I need support and care. How do I get it?

TheRiverKelvin
TheRiverKelvin Community member Posts: 8 Connected
edited November 2018 in Autism and neurodiversity
I've been trying to find support or care for issues I have due to my ASD and dyslexia. 

A few things I'd be hoping for help with is someone to come with me when going shopping. I get overwhelmed by the lights and music in shops and supermarkets and have a lot of difficulty navigating my way around them. I don't understand letters I get through from the council, bills etc and don't know how to take action when I need to ending in me getting into financial difficulties, late fees etc. I also find dealing with money difficult and keeping my accounts and bills in order meaning bills don't get paid and I overspend leading to more issues I don't understand how to deal with. I don't understand whats going on when I visit my GP meaning progress and management in my health takes so long as i need to go back to see the GP again and again to understand what I've to do and what he means. I have difficulties communicating, understanding, with money and being outside.

I want support in going to shops, seeing my GP, managing my money/letters/bills. Also when it comes to dealing with JSA ,ESA & PIP which I have going on just now. (Requested an appeal for PIP and ESA a they deemed me fit for work which i disagree with)

I know someone with ASD who has a carer to help him with things he finds difficult. And I want to know how I can access that help.

I went to Enable for help as my dyslexia is bad and they told me I needed a social work assessment.

I called the social work, the first time I called they said they couldnt give me an assessment for what I was looking for but gave me helpline numbers to centres who literaly had no idea why I was passed to them. The second I was told I'd be called to arrange a social work assesment but that was two weeks ago.

Am I doing the right thing? I'm struggling to get help but feel I need and deserve it. I'm about to breakdown. I'm also waiting on an ASD assessment and found out the GP made an error and didn't refer me so I waited 3 months for nothing. The wait for Glasgow is 6/7 months. That's half the time wasted. 

Please help and advice me how I cam get support for these things i find extremely difficult. 

Sorry for the depressing post, it's a bit obvious I'm finding life difficult just now and am depressed as!

Many thanks in advance 

Comments

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.