Challenging a decision not to be placed within the severe conditions criteria — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Challenging a decision not to be placed within the severe conditions criteria

Options
keira
keira Community member Posts: 133 Courageous
A friend has just had an ESA reassessment and been placed back in the support group (length unknown).However, they feel they should have been placed within the severe conditions criteria with future reassessments switched off. How do they go about disputing this and what evidence is needed?

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,018 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    They need to ask for a MR but before doing this then i'd advise them to seek further advice regarding this because the criteria for ESA with no further reviews is very specific. ESA awards letter never state time scales, for this they will need to ring ESA and ask.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • keira
    Options
    Thanks for the reply. Are you sure they ask for a MR as I think I read somewhere that MR'S/Appeals do not apply in these cases?
  • poppy123456
    Options
    Yes but you don't agree with the decision that you haven't been given the indefinite award for ESA.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • keira
    Options
    Thanks @poppy123456 for that. Could you please advise where you obtained this information from and provide a link. It would be much appreciated.
  • poppy123456
    Options
    No, i can't provide a link but it's standard procedure that if you don't agree with a decision that's been made you need to ask for the MR. What makes you think that MR's and Tribunals don't apply here? You don't agree with the decision so you challenge it and the MR is the first step.
  • keira
    edited September 2018
    Options
    I should add that my friend asked on their ESA50 to be placed within the severe conditions criteria but this seems to have fallen on deaf ears. Also, their reassessment was paper based.
  • keira
    Options
    @mikehughescq, thanks for providing that information. This is what I have been trying to ascertain, that MR's and Appeals are not applicable when trying to be placed in the severe conditions criteria?
  • keira
    edited September 2018
    Options
    Q: How can I dispute a decision not to be placed within the severe conditions criteria?
    The severe conditions criteria sits alongside the current re-referral periods of 3,1,2,18,24 or 36 months, and comes within the Secretary of State’s discretion as to how often the DWP should review a claim or ask for further information, to which there is no right of appeal. 
    We can of course look again at any claim where asked by a claimant who feels it has not been processed correctly. However this would not be by the formal Mandatory Reconsideration process and would not carry the right of appeal.

Mike, can you explain how I should interpret the above extract please as I am having trouble making sense of this? Thanks.

• Government_needs_reform
    Government_needs_reform Community member Posts: 859 Pioneering
    Options
    keira said:
    A friend has just had an ESA reassessment and been placed back in the support group (length unknown).However, they feel they should have been placed within the severe conditions criteria with future reassessments switched off. How do they go about disputing this and what evidence is needed?
    @keira
    Also to add to this topic. This is never a true objective which this Government will do or ever follow.

A Feeedom of imformation request which was asked, pay close attention to question 2. And the DWP response to it... Smokescreens and mirrors I think?

2) Could you please state how many ESA Claimants are now exempt from repeat assessments ( to the last available set of figures)

DWP Response:

I apologise for the delay in responding.

1) DWP Severe Conditions criteria is designed to establish if the condition and its effects on the individual would limit their ability to undertake work related activity and whether this situation is unlikely to improve. Due to the variation in severity

of most health conditions no health condition automatically qualifies and each case is assessed upon its own merits.

2&3) DWP does not currently hold the information you have requested. DWP does not have a specific identifier for those placed in the Severe Condition criteria.

See the full info here below regarding all the above, I know that many are or never will be put into this group...

https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/492789/response/1221441/attach/3/FOI%202916.pdf?cookie_passthrough=1
    ⬇️
    I created one of the campaign election videos for Labour, and Jeremy Corbyn,
    This is a new version of Emeli Sande, Hope "You Are Not Alone
    I highlighted everything that's wrong with this country from benefits, NHS, UC etc, but now we have to put up with the hate now that is the Tories. 

You can see the video here.
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=P5o8hRHh9IY

• keira
    Options
    I’m not sure where you get that idea from. The decision that the criteria do or ring apply is part of the entitlement decision. That is open to an MR and appeal. It dies mean the whole entitlement is at stake but that’s not the same as it being under threat. Face to face advice on both aspects and the real risk is what’s needed.
    Can you please explain this a bit more. How can something be at stake but not the same as being under threat?
  • keira
    Options
    @Username_removed. Thank you for your reply. 

Do you know whether the DWP includes in their decision letters that a person qualifies the severe conditions. My friend just received a letter saying they were in the support group, so I was just wondering if it would have also stated this. Thanks.
  • Government_needs_reform
    Government_needs_reform Community member Posts: 859 Pioneering
    Options
    keira said:
    @Username_removed. Thank you for your reply. 

Do you know whether the DWP includes in their decision letters that a person qualifies the severe conditions. My friend just received a letter saying they were in the support group, so I was just wondering if it would have also stated this. Thanks.

@keira it will state on the decision letter from the DWP stating that your exempt from further reviews.

But as I've said above it's very rare. Read my post above I've posted in your thread....
    ⬇️
    I created one of the campaign election videos for Labour, and Jeremy Corbyn,
    This is a new version of Emeli Sande, Hope "You Are Not Alone
    I highlighted everything that's wrong with this country from benefits, NHS, UC etc, but now we have to put up with the hate now that is the Tories. 

You can see the video here.
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=P5o8hRHh9IY

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.