What is permitted work in ESA? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

What is permitted work in ESA?

I recently started an hour 15 mins per day in a primary school. I receive ESA support group rate. This equates to 6.25 hrs a week. I have been asked if I could do additional admin typing work  up to 15 hours is this allowed? TIA

Comments

• wilko
    wilko Community member Posts: 2,458 Disability Gamechanger
    Check with your local job Center Plus or DWP as I understand permitted work you can earn up to £120per week with out losing benefits plus the employment has to be approved and supervised, you can google your question and hopefully get the answer information you need.
  • Halfpint1319
    Halfpint1319 Community member Posts: 14 Listener
    @helenhowarth43 you can only work for 12hrs a week when your on ESA plus the job must be on the list of suitable the DWP has for those on ESA,I would suggest you call & ask you don’t have to give your name or any details to ask a question pxx
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,352 Disability Gamechanger
    For permitted work you're allowed to work a maximum of 15.59 hours per week and earn no more than £125.50 per week. You must tell DWP about the work you do, it won't go against you unless the work you do contradicts the reasons you're claiming ESA. See link.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • poppy123456
    @Halfpint1319 permitted work is max 15.59 hours per week and not 12 hours.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • Scissorhandsjack
    Scissorhandsjack Community member Posts: 20 Connected
    Hi I'm waiting on an esa appeal since February. I've just been offered a part time job. Can I take ti's while on appeal 
  • poppy123456
    Hi I'm waiting on an esa appeal since February. I've just been offered a part time job. Can I take ti's while on appeal 
    Hi, if you're claiming assessment rate while you wait for the Tribunal hearing then the above link will apply to you. Working may or may not go against you at your hearing, it will depend on the work you do (if any) and the reasons for your ESA claim.
  • Scissorhandsjack
    Thanks for this information. I'm on assessment rate while on appeal, job offer is a welfare rights officer offering advice to all on benefits and sanctions and so forth. I'm thin inking about coming off esa all together as there is likely hood of moving into full time employment. I wonder what will happen if i come off esa
  • Scissorhandsjack
    Also will I have to make a fresh claim if I work only the permitted hours and stay in the assessment phase.. Esa rules are confusing
    ?
  • Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @helenhowarth43
    There is some information here, I hope this helps!

Permitted work is work you may do, including voluntary work, while claiming health- or disability-related benefits such as Employment and Support Allowance (ESA).

Disability Living Allowance (DLA)Personal Independence Payment (PIP) andAttendance Allowance (AA) are not means-tested, so your earnings do not affect the amount of your benefit.

Permitted work lower limit

This allows you to earn up to £20 a week for an unlimited period. This is useful if you are on Income Support because any earnings over £20 will be deducted from your benefit.

Permitted work higher limit

This allows you to earn up to £125.50 a week, after tax and National Insurance deductions, without affecting your benefit, if you are getting ESA or Universal Credit disability elements or National Insurance credits because of incapacity for work. The work must be for less than 16 hours a week. It can be for an unlimited period.

Supported permitted work

Supported permitted work has no restriction on the hours you work and can be for an unlimited period. You can earn up to £125.50 a week after tax and National Insurance deductions, without affecting your benefit, if you are getting ESA or Universal Credit disability elements, or National Insurance credits because of incapacity for work.
    Scope
    Senior online community officer
  • helenhowarth43
    helenhowarth43 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Thanks everyone.
  • Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    It may be worth getting in touch with the DWP though and asking them in this specific instance?
    Scope
    Senior online community officer
  • poppy123456
    If you work the permitted hours amount as stated in the link then it won't affect your ESA providing the work you do doesn't contradict the reasons you're claiming ESA, especially as you're waiting for your Tribunal. You won't have to make a new claim.

If you decide to start working full time then you'll need to ring ESA and tell them, then your ESA will stop.
  • TERESAMCDONALD1
    TERESAMCDONALD1 Community member Posts: 3 Listener
    Hi, I need some help please, I've been off work since January , my ssp is finished so I've got a Another sick note and don't know where to hand it in, job centre doesn't know either,they said to go to citizens advise for them to tell me, please help xxx

• poppy123456
    Hi, I need some help please, I've been off work since January , my ssp is finished so I've got a Another sick note and don't know where to hand it in, job centre doesn't know either,they said to go to citizens advise for them to tell me, please help xxx

You're employer should have given you an SSP1 form a few weeks  before your SSP ran out. You'll need this to claim ESA, if they haven't given it to you then you need to contact your employer to ask them for the form. You'll need fit/sick notes to be able to claim ESA. A claim for ESA takes a few weeks for payment to start. which is why your employer should have given you the form so you could have started a claim for ESA ready for when the SSP ran out.
  • mamajayne69
    mamajayne69 Community member Posts: 7 Listener
    Hi on Facebook people work from home MLM . 
    Is this allowed? 
  • poppy123456
    I don't know what MLM is, sorry. Permitted work is allowed providing you don't work over 15.59 hours per week, and you don't earn more than £125.50 per week after deductions. If the work you do contradicts your reasons for claiming ESA then it could go against you when you're next re-assessed. You need to get permission to do the work from DWP.
  • mamajayne69
    mamajayne69 Community member Posts: 7 Listener
    It's network marketing, 
  • poppy123456
    It's still working and you need to contact DWP, if you plan or are doing this.
  • Tamazie
    Tamazie Community member Posts: 6 Listener
    Guys so what's the difference between esa and pip? Please I am confused 
  • poppy123456
    Tamazie said:
    Guys so what's the difference between esa and pip? Please I am confused 
    ESA is about the work you can do and PIP is how your conditions affect your ability to carry out daily activity.

It's no longer possible to claim Income Related ESA because all areas are now a full universal credit area.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.