If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.

Having difficulties logging in or resetting your password?

Please email [email protected]

Does an inheritance affect my DLA?

barbiedyson55barbiedyson55 Posts: 3Member Listener
edited September 2018 in Finances and extra costs
Hello would anyone know how an inheritance of money might affect my dla Housing/council tax benefits please. Will I be made homeless. I’ve copd/emphysema and a heart defect tia

Replies

• LiamO_DellLiamO_Dell Posts: 1,114Member Pioneering
    Hi @BenefitsTrainingCo, would you be able to help with this, please? :) Thank you!
    Liam
  • mikehughescqmikehughescq Posts: 3,494Member - under moderation Disability Gamechanger
    Doesn’t affect DLA at all. HB/CTR will be impacted but to what extent depends wholly on how much capital you have now and how much will be inherited. Both will stop if you have > £16,000 but you’re not going to be homeless simply because even if they cease you’ll have >£16,000 with which to meet those costs until such time as it falls below and you reclaim. 
  • BenefitsTrainingCoBenefitsTrainingCo Posts: 2,679Member Pioneering

barbiedyson55
    barbiedyson55,

I don't have much to add to Mike's advice - thanks to Mike as ever. Your DLA is unaffected. You don't mention income-related ESA but if you get that, the effects are the same as for housing benefit - if the inheritance is more than £16,000, no income-related ESA, no Housing Benefit, no council tax reduction. 

You'll be expected to pay your rent & council tax from the savings. As long as you spend them on things like that (& other everyday living expenses, ie things you need, or immediately repayable debts) then once your savings go below £16,000 you could reclaim. However, I'd be aware that even if Universal Credit hasn't started in your area now, it may be that it will have started by the time the savings go down. So in the future, if the savings go below £16,000 because you've lived on them, you may have to claim Universal Credit and council tax reduction.

Will
    The Benefits Training Co:
    Paul Bradley
    Michael Chambers
    Will Hadwen
    Sarah Hayle
    Maria Solomon
    David Stickland
  • barbiedyson55barbiedyson55 Posts: 3Member Listener
    Thank for the info it’s much appreciated:)
Sign in or join us to comment.