Carer's allowance
If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.

Our Carer's allowance was stopped

SystemSystem Posts: 471 Scope community team
edited September 2018 in Carer's allowance
This discussion was created from comments split from: Carers allowance.

Replies

• decosemodecosemo Member Posts: 2 Listener
    edited September 2018
    My partner receives PIP and I used to get carers allowance but since getting my pension the have stopped my carers allowance so we now get £240 less a month. The pip is£319. 80 month ad my pension is £544.72 people month. Can you help please yours faithfully 
    Lynne [surname removed by moderator]
  • markyboymarkyboy Member Posts: 374 Pioneering
    Carers allowance stops at pension age but you can still get entitlement to carers if you get PIP this helps you to get disability premiums with other benefits
  • decosemodecosemo Member Posts: 2 Listener
    Thank you markyboy can you tell me the benefits you mention
  • poppy123456poppy123456 Community champion Posts: 20,634 Disability Gamechanger
    Carers Allowance can't be paid to those claiming pension, but they will get an underlying entitlement to it. This link may help you.

Community champion and proud winner of the 2019 empowering others award. This award was given for supporting disabled people and their families for the benefit advice i have given to members here on the community.
  • mikehughescqmikehughescq Member - under moderation Posts: 4,900 Disability Gamechanger
    You keep an entitlement to CA but not the payment (unless your RP us very low indeed). That “underlying entitlement” helps you get various additonal amounts (premiums) and may bring you entitlement to Pension Credit for the 1st time. 
  • BenefitsTrainingCoBenefitsTrainingCo Member Posts: 2,692 Pioneering
    decosemo,

Hi Lynne,

I hope the above advice has been helpful. You can't get carer's allowance because your retirement pension is higher than your carer's allowance would be. You should keep claiming it though. I'd suggest that you look into claiming Pension Credit as soon as possible as you may be entitled and you can backdate by up to 3 months if that applies (get money from before you claim).

Even if Pension Credit doesn't apply, the underlying entitlement Mike mentions could also help with housing benefit and/or help with the council tax.

You can claim Pension Credit by ringing 0800 99 1234 - the claim can be made over the phone, but ask for a paper application if you need one.

Housing benefit and council tax reduction can be claimed from your local council.

It's well worth checking these benefits out - lots of people miss them. I can't say for certain that you're entitled, but you may well be.

Will 
    The Benefits Training Co:
    Paul Bradley
    Michael Chambers
    Will Hadwen
    Sarah Hayle
    Maria Solomon
    David Stickland
  • dignifieddolldignifieddoll Member Posts: 52 Connected
    Have you considered  attendance allowance  my husband was told  by person at pensions that it might  be possible or something called "underlying allowance " and that does not affect your pension income 
  • poppy123456poppy123456 Community champion Posts: 20,634 Disability Gamechanger
    Have you considered  attendance allowance  my husband was told  by person at pensions that it might  be possible or something called "underlying allowance " and that does not affect your pension income 
    The partner receives PIP and therefore can't claim AA at the same time.
    Community champion and proud winner of the 2019 empowering others award. This award was given for supporting disabled people and their families for the benefit advice i have given to members here on the community.
  • dignifieddolldignifieddoll Member Posts: 52 Connected
    Best try the benefit calculator  that might help 
  • mikehughescqmikehughescq Member - under moderation Posts: 4,900 Disability Gamechanger
    Benefit calculators cannot help with disability benefits only means-tested.
    See above re: underlying entitlement.

See above re: underlying entitlement.
    Thanks, but i don't need to because it's not possible to claim Attendance Allowance (AA) at the same time as PIP. I did post reply about underlying entitlement to carers allowance though.
    No not you @poppy123456 :) I was referring to the post by @dignifieddoll
  • riky38criky38c Member Posts: 27 Listener
    Hi there is disability premium payment different to income support 
    I received income support a couple of weeks ago and never received disability premium yet 
    Hi,

To receive the disability premiums on Income Support you need to be claiming a disability benefit like PIP or DLA, do you claim any of these?
    Yes i get pip last week i only got income support but i was successful in getting sever disability premium 
    I was successfull in getting the sever disability premium but i only got paid income support last week 
    You need to apply for the severe disability premium by ringing Income Support. To be eligible you need to be living alone or classed as living alone and no one must be claiming carers allowance for looking after you.
    No I've already done all that nobody is claiming carers allowance for me regards ive just not received any payment yet etc 
    It's not paid instantly and can take 4 weeks maybe longer for payments to start. You'll be backdated any money that is owed.
    Because i only got income support last week but no premiums added on only letter saying ill get £206 then £125 income support its confusing me lol
    edited September 2018
    When you claim Income Support and carers allowance the carers allowance is taken of the income support and a premium is added on. Carers allowance then pay you. So your Income support will be as follows.

£73.10 +£33.55 disability premium + £36 carers premium = £142.65 per week. Carers Allowance then take off £64.30 per week, so £142.65 - £64.30 = £78.35 per week. Fortnightly payment without SDP is £156.70.

Carers allowance then pay you £64.30 per week, or whatever you asked for when you first applied... weekly, 4 weekly or 3 months.

Once the SDP is added onto the income support you'll receive an extra £64.30 per week, making your Income Support a total of £285.30 every fortnight. Hope this helps.
    Hi there yed i understand once everything kicks in last week i only received £250
    Hi there yes i understand know last week i only got £250 so i understand once it kicks in 
    So thats about £550 then once it kicks in regards 
    edited September 2018
    riky38c said:
    So thats about £550 then once it kicks in regards 
    No. I've edited my last figure on there because it should have said £285.30 every fortnight and not per week, income support sorry. A lot of figures to calculate there and it's been a long day. Then of course you said you get carers allowance for looking after your mum which is paid separately, as stated above.
    Its every fortnight i get my benefits 
    When i phoned up before guy said its £206 each week 
    The amounts i stated above are correct, if you claim carers allowance for looking after your mum.
    I still haven't been paid disability premium yet though and ive had to reclaim carers allowance complicated lol
    When i phoned up hours ago the benefits guy said £206 a week =412
    You said you're claiming Income support and carers allowance for looking after your mum yes? You also said you have a daily living PIP award and you live alone, is this correct? If so then your Income Support weekly payment is or will be £142.65 per week.

Then you have carers allowance on top of this which is £64.30 per week, this is paid separately to your Income Support because they take this payment off the income support and add a carers premium. When you applied for Carers allowance you have an option to be paid weekly, 4 weekly or every 13 weeks.

Add both Income Support with all the premiums and the carers allowance together as i advised in the figures above, gives a total of £206.95 per week but it's not paid in the same payment.

Ahh i see so its paid differently then 
    Carers allowance was paid weekly 
    riky38c said:
    Ahh i see so its paid differently then 
    Yes because carers allowance is deducted from the income support and they add a carers premium, carers allowance then pay you the carers allowance that was deducted from the income support. This is because you can't be paid twice for carers allowance. Complicated and confuses almost everyone.
    Yes very complicated i thought you got the premiums every week so basically it gets paid at different times 
    The premiums are paid on top of your income support and this is paid every 2 weeks.
    Ahh because i never got my premiums last week just income support £125 each week very complicated!! 
    Thanks for your help very complicated lol
    You will get them but it won't be done overnight. You have to wait for DWP to add them. Any money owed will be backdated.

I see you have a welfare rights officer helping you with this. If you still don't understand everything i've said then please ask your welfare rights officer to explain it all to you when you next see him/her. Good luck.
    Yes i kind of understand yes speaking to.my.welfare rights advisor through the week 
Sign in or join us to comment.