Housing benefit confusion — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Housing benefit confusion

littleruthie123
littleruthie123 Community member Posts: 511 Pioneering
Hi could anyone advise please .My son has just started work and lives with me he's 19.I'm on p.i.p higher award. I'm also on esa.can anyone advise on housing benefit please?.will I loose my housing benefit?.or will he have too pay separate?.It's all get confusing .thanks 

Comments

• littleruthie123
    Also do i loose my esa premium already lost one .seems too off gone down .he wasent even started yet 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,320 Disability Gamechanger
    As you're claiming PIP then there's no non dependent deductions to your housing benefit and you won't lose your housing benefit.

I'm guessing the premium you lost on ESA was the SDP? You won't lose the other premium. Your son working won't affect any of your ESA or housing benefit.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • littleruthie123
    Thank you penny that's great  your ways so helpful thank you  
  • littleruthie123
  • littleruthie123
    So does he have too pay them housing benefit?.Sorry just want too confirm ?
  • poppy123456
    Pay them housing benefit? You mean does he have to pay rent? No because he lives with you and you claim housing benefit, he can't claim it. Your housing benefit won't be affected because you claim PIP.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • littleruthie123
    Ok thank you penny that's great yrs sorry that's what I meant.i get muddled easily lol 
  • poppy123456
    I'm poppy not penny lol and you're welcome. The link i posted for you will confirm there's no non dependent deductions for housing benefit for those claiming PIP.
  • littleruthie123
    Sorry as I said get muddled poppy 
  • Misscleo
    Misscleo Community member Posts: 647 Pioneering
    This got really funny ladies
  • littleruthie123
  • Kaprifol
    Kaprifol Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    hello littleruthie,
    just would like to say Poppy is correct.  It took me a few years and a lot of digging to find out that they could not charge my son rent or take away my housing benefit.

We live in a council house and for years they told me that he had to pay rent and that his income counted, after I looked up the laws and found the information.  I was advised get him registered on carers credit even though at the time he was studying at university. 

He is 25 now and still helping me here at home. I don't know what I would do with out him even though I would like him to have more of his own life instead of always worrying about me. He does way more than 35 hours a week helping me.  I do not lose any of my housing benefit, they can't count his income even if he made a million pounds a year.  As he is here to help provide care for me and as long as he is doing 20 hrs a week aiding me. like cooking, buying groceries, taking out my trash and other things around the house that I am not physically able to do. (I am on the highest rate of daily on pip and highest rate of mobility. )

It is the same for council tax. I pay as if I am living here alone as since he is considered a care provider even if I do have my daily care done by someone else.

I am really glad that I found this forum as I am trying to find out more about care for the disabled as I need help with personal care but the adult services is telling me I only need 45 minutes a day for a shower but I need help getting my clothes on and off and need help with incontinence issues as well as IBS.

So if anyone can help let me know. I am only getting 5.24 hrs a week as the last lady that assessed me said my son could do shower and dress me too and I found that appalling as no man should have to do so when they are that young.

MVH
    //Kap

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.