If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.

pins needles an numbness in my fingers

deb74deb74 Posts: 230Member Chatterbox
at the end of last year i started to have pins and needles in my fingers and they kept going numb. i went to the drs and had a blood test. i was told their was nothing wrong. i put up with it until april when it got worse and my hands started shaking which is very annoying. in the meantime i had changed drs. i was given another blood test and had an xray, the dr thought it was arthritis as i couldn't straighten my fingers and i already have arthritis in my spine and legs. the results came back and i didn't have arthritis in my hands. again i left i finally decided to go back to the dr last week as i am now having lots of pain in my shoulders and arms.finally i have got the answer! i was born with scoliosis as well spina bifida. it turns out my spine is slowly starting to get worse and it is putting pressure on my neck which is causing all the pins and needles and numbness. i have got to go to the hospital for more tests and xrays to see how bad it has got. i am not sure if they will be able to do anything because they have xrayed my spine before and won't operate as they have told me i will walk into the hospital and come out in a wheelchair. 

Replies

• anni3369anni3369 Posts: 9Member Listener
    I just saw your post- am just going out- I hope to text you later 
  • debbiedo49debbiedo49 Posts: 2,514Member Brian Blessed
    It could also be something else so good luck and hope you get your answers. I get those symptoms and it comes under fibromyalgia for me. Let us know how you get on.

I am a fibrowarrior!
  • deb74deb74 Posts: 230Member Chatterbox
    hi debbiedo49. i will let you know what happens. i am going for an xray on thursday and then i have got a blood test and some tests at the hospital but hopefully by the end of october i should know something
  • susielockettsusielockett Posts: 53Member Talkative
    Hi Deb74, Just been told mine is a trapped nerve in the cervical bone in my neck. I also have pins and needles in my hands, such pain in my right shoulder (mistaken for a frozen shoulder originally) and I have also been diagnosed with Fibromyalgia. Like you I was backwards and forwards to the drs, had an xray and a scan, one dr even said he didnt have a clue why my arm was so painful. It was a clinical nurse at my drs that just said to me one day 'has anyone ever xrayed your neck' and after 12 months I finally had an answer! Hope you are ok
    susielockett
    hi susielockett. the pain is in my left shoulder and my hands also keep going numb as well as having pins and needles and my hands keep saking all this is driving me mad !!! i had an operation on my right shoulder last year and it has only just healed so i have been in a lot of pain with that. i have got me which i have had for 4 years which has eased quite a lot thank goodness
    My arm had a life of its own at one stage and of course each time it jerked it caused me a kot of pain. I do think half the battle is having a diagmosis
    susielockett
    hopefully i will know what is going on soon. the shaking is really annoying as i am a craft worker and i can't do a lot if i have got the shakes.
    I was diagnosed as having a none essential tremor about five years ago which apparently gets worse as time goes on or gets bad when anxious or nervous. Mu Dad had the same which strangely enough back then they diagnosed a trapped nerve in the side of his head. It used to drive him mad. Mine means I cannot safely make a brew, cook or anything that needs doing :/ Its very frustrating though had to laugh when my brother said the other week I would do well as a cocktail shaker :) If you didnt laugh you would cry so laughter is certainly the way forward. I hope you get your answers soon.
    susielockett
    hi susielockett. you are definatley right about laughing. i know what you mean about making a brew. a few years ago i sprained my wrist and ever since i have had problems with the bone jumping in and out and that makes my wrist shake.i sometimes wear wrist splints because of my me as i have weak wrists this does make the shaking a bit easier to cope with.
    morning susielockett. it looks like it will be another day doing nothing! my fingers are locked i can only straighten my little fingers and my thumbs. my fingers are very painful and tingling like mad and my hands have started shaking,
    Morning Deb74,

I find doing very small bits of exercising with them helps keep them moving (even thought it hurts) I just flex my wrists, arms, fingers, very small amount of my shoulder, though I cannot rotate it and my ankles. It just keeps them a little more mobile in the long run and it also makes me feel a little better in myself too.... and of course you can do it where you are sat.

susielockett
    hi susielockett. my fingers did unlock eventually, i kept trying to staighten my fingers but they would not move. eventually they did straighten a bit but they are still curled over a bit and my hands keep shaking. i do make a fist and straighten my fingers out as much as i can and i do the excersise my physio gave me.
    Hi again Deb74, I have to use my left hand sometimes to move my right because it wont move on its own and of course its painful. I am still waiting to see physio before seeing the orthopedic doctor but have been put on the waiting list. This is what annoys me when you are trying to claim for ESA or PIP, you are on a waiting list for your appointments so cannot always give them the proof they need.
    susielockett
    hi susielockett. the physio exercises were to help with my shoulder after my operation but i still do them. as for pip and esa my esa was stopped just before christmas but i am on pip and it is not being reviewed till 2021so i don't have to worry about that and as for medical evidence they have got a lot of evidence of my disabilities.
    Nice to hear Deb74, they thought mine was a frozen shoulder and sent me to physio. In the meantime I had a cortisone injection and then they tried cream all to no avail. They then sent me for an xray which showed no bursitis so sent me for a scan, again nothing there hahaha it all takes time as you know. It was 'guessed' after a lot of hassle (back xray and hip xray) that I may have fibromyalgia. In the meantime I had an assessment for PIP (I had already won my appeal for ESA) but the assessor lied surprise surprise and said I was seen to be moving arms and legs etc etc as normal. I only got the diagnosis for the fibromyalgia and the trapped nerves also osteo arthritis in my neck AFTER I had the assessment done. I have my appeal date next Thursday for the PIP and have sent all my medical stuff in so fingers crossed the evidence will show she could not have possibly seen me doing what she said I had. Oh she also said I was smoking and was seen to flick ash in an ashtray with my left hand! I dont smoke and havent done for seven years or more but again its in my medical history when I gave up smoking. I offered her my medical papers on the day and she refused to look at them!
    susielockett
    hi susielockett. my pip assesor was brilliant put when i had my esa assessment in november i was told as long as i could lift one arm above my head i was weel enough to go back to work. i lifted my left arm above my head but my right arm that i had the oeration on would only lift level with my elbow like my dad said how was i supposed to work when i couldn't lift my arm properly. i sent a mandatory reconsideration but it was turned down and i had to go on the dole.i decided to come off the dole in may and have been waiting since then to get tax credits but i have been turmed down for them and have had to put in a mandatory reconcideration for that now. thank goodness i get pip but it is only standard so i am struggling at the moment. fingers crossed they let me have my tax credits because i can't possibly work for someone else when i am like this. i am wearing my straps as i am writing this because i cant't use my hands properly! 
    Oh deb74 :( why didnt you appeal? a lot are turned down at a mandatory consideration but a lot then go on to win an appeal. My appeal for ESA was looked at by the judge on the morning it should have gone to court and they overturned it in my favour and they put me on enhanced rate ESA and he also stated not to be reassessed too, lovely person :) It was back dated for me too which was a bonus. This one for PIP is more about lies that have been told (though yes the money would come in handy as I too struggle) but I cannot bear lies and unfairness! I worked for seven years in the disability sector and helped people similar to you and me never thinking I would end up where I am.
    susielockett
    hi susuielockett. i got the cab involved but got nowhere. when went on the dole i was getting money anyway.as for not thinking abot would ending up where you are i was born with several disabilities which have got worse as i have got older.
    Its so wrong isnt it? I was a lead support worker working with people with mental/physical disabilities and was also learning to fill all forms in for PIP and ESA. I wish I had known then what I know now I think I would have done some things slightly differently. I used to advise people where to go etc. I also went to the CAB and have been dealing with someone right from the beginning. He wont be at court, my sister is going to be with me but I also found this site helps too. I do think you have to be a strong person to follow things through to the end and to be honest after the stuff I dealt with getting my ESA I wasnt going to appeal my PIP but shear anger has taken me through it! I just feel so much for people in the same position that have no one to support them. I have also got my M.P. involved and they are following my case.
    susielockett
    hi susielockett. i was talking to a friend of mine who has got oestoporosis he was turned down for pip but appealed it and he told me they have now decided to give it to him.
    Oh thats brilliant news isnt it? I think all we can do is hope when we do the appeals and I do believe the judge and anyone else there is very impartial and will consider all the evidence. Far better than the assessments we have to go through, they assessments and waiting causes a lot of anxiety, depression and nervousness for many people. I honestly would love to be able to stand up in front of the House of Commons and put it to them that things need to change.

susielockett
    hi susuielockett. well said. it is great that they have realised that they needed to review a lot of cases as they have't given enough money to people. i looked at an article the other day and it looks like i missed out on the new pip assesment by 2 months. being expected to live on 57 pounds a week is a joke! what planet are these people on they certainly don't live in the real world.
    No they don't Deb74, If I wasnt on the enhanced rate ESA I am not sure what I would do for money, I also keep my son and his husband on my money. My son has his own illnesses, works from home but his contract came to an end 8 months ago and he doesnt claim benefits in the hopes other work is going to come his way (hes a designer, self employed) His husband has come here from America but cant find work and is unable to claim benefits in his own right. Its so damned wrong. They have paid in excess of 15,000 for visas etc done everything by the book and left high and dry :/ enough of my moans just for me the system is all wrong. I have my appeal next week and its with me all day and most of the night. I am on a bad day today pain wise and so wish we didnt have to wait so long for appeals and decisions because I dont think the stress helps. How are you today?
    susielockett
    hi susuielockett. my hands are diving me mad they are aching but at least i can move my fingers today. i am excited! this afternoon i am going to see a shop in the hope that i can set up a gift shop. i looked at another shop a couple of months ago but i did not get it, the shop is in a great position in town and it is near the main car park so fingers crossed i will be up and running soon
    Wonderful news deb74! It gives you something to focus on and will help tremendously :)
    hi susielockett. i have been to see the shop and will hopefully find out in the next few days if i have got it. as for keeping me focused i have got craft fairs back to back from mid november to christmas so i am flat out at the moment making stock for the craft fairs.
    Morning Deb74, my daughter does craft work, its beautiful but she just does it to sell on ebay and facebook. She has 4 kids as well as her own health problems so really proud of her. Good luck with all your craft fairs its hard work so you do well keeping going.

susielockett
    hi susielockett. i have had to put the craft work on hold today. i started cutting fabric and my hands started shaking. it is very frustrating especially as i have so much to do. oh well better to be safe than sorry i don't want to cut myself!
  • duelljoduelljo Posts: 1Member Listener
    I get a lot of numbness in my hands if im lying in bed and my hands are higher than my heart it seems coz when I sit up a bit my hands aren't affected ....
    That has to be your first priority but just do what you can when you can
    susielockett
    hi susielockett. i might have some exciting news! the estate agents have just phoned me and it looks like i might have the shop. i have got to talk things through with my business advisor and then talk to the estate agent again but fingers crossed i have got it then i can talk to the hmrc about getting my tax credits.
    Well done deb74 I really hope you do well with it, some good news for you at last. Thats where belief and hard work get you.
    susielockett
    hi susielockett. i have spoken to my business advisor and i might have to take out a 6 month lease, i was hoping for a 3 month lease but the landlord is not happy with 3 months so if it means i can have the shop i am willing to take the plunge. my busines advisor is going to talk the estate agents again for me but it sounds like the landlord is desperate to rent out the shop as it has been empty for at least 6 months
    Maybe a bit of maneuverability in the rent? I think it will be so good for you and to be honest 6 months is not a long time if it takes off :)

susielockett
    i am hoping the landlord will be happy with a 6 month lease. the shop has been empty for at least 6 months and the estate agent says the landlord is desperate to get rid of it! i am hoping the shop will do well! 6 months will cover christmas mothers day and easter so hopefully i will ok.
     :)  I am sure it will deb74
    hi susielockett. there is only one way to find out! 
    hi susielockett. i have had an email from my business advisor. she wants me to see the estate agent today to discusss the term of the lease so i will see what he says.fingers crossed but i think as the landlord is desperate to rent it out i will be ok. i will let you lknow what happens
    So good when you feel that things are moving, it gives you a real buzz :) look forward to hearing all about it.
  • AlisonNettyAlisonNetty Posts: 15Member Whisperer
    A few years ago I had that and it turned out to be  Carpal tunnel... Hope you found out what it is. Take care of yourself. Hugs x
    I went for my second physio appointment today. I chose to identify my hip and leg issues as I have more than one problem and it seems constructive. While I'm on the exercise bike my legs going like crazy for me unused to it, my hands keep tightening up over the handles and have to shake them off. The physio is saying to me relax you are doing so well! I'm thinking oh heck my hands are such a pain. I might wear grip gloves next time see if it helps. 

I am a fibrowarrior!
    hi Alisonnetty. my doctor has already ruled out carpel tunnel.
    hi debbieo49. my hands cramp up when i grab things i have got trigger finger. i have had it for years.
  • ShonShon Posts: 19Member Talkative
    Hi, 2 yrs ago i had a spinal op to release nerves in my neck that were giving my arms weaknesses. 2 yrs later ive still got troubles with my neck and both hands. Had tests done recently and now ive carpal tunnel syndrome. Had more MRI's and scans done on my spine and my lower back has nerves compressed which make my legs go weak so im on a waiting list for another op. Ive got more scans and MRI's to be done in the near future. Ive a list of things wrong with me so i wont go into that. Hope you find a solution soon. 
    I should probably see someone’s about my symptoms but I get so anxious about appointments I avoid it

I am a fibrowarrior!
  • ShonShon Posts: 19Member Talkative
    I get really bad anxiety when it comes to doctor's. I no longer go to appointments on my own.  
    Me too

I am a fibrowarrior!
    hi debbie049. i think a lot of us avoid going to the doctor. i always think things will go away on their own. i have to be feeling really bad before i go to the doctors. especially as the doctors i used to go to never took me seriously. i will give you an example. i went to my old doctors with really bad somach pains and he told me it was a food allergy, i went away and 3 months later i was doubled up in pain so went back in the mean time i had lost a stone and the pain really was unbearable. i saw a different dr and he sent me for loads of tests at the hospital. i spent 18 months going backwards and forwards to the hospital having tests. it turned out i had cists on my ovaries.
    hi susielockett. i didn't get the shop the lanlord wouldn't let me have the shop for less than 12 months. i have sent a begging email to the estate agent but the landlord is having non of it even though the shop has been empty since february. he must of lost lots of money while it has been empty. obviously the money isn't important to him and the first shop i looked at has been empty for 12 months and that landlord wont back down either but i have been told they don't care about the shop being empty as they have loads of money!
    Oh deb74 I am so sorry but I always think things happen for a reason. Don't let it get you down, maybe the time isn't right. Just keep looking for something better. To be honest maybe the landlord would not have been a good one anyway. I am positive something else will come up for you.

Good luck
    hi susielockett. theses lanlords are stupid but if they want to loose thousands of pounds in rent and paying council tax on an empty shop then it is up to them. i have contacted the estate agent about another shop as i really need a base to sell my stuff from. the hmrc have refused my tax credits again and it looks like they will keep refusing it until i can prove to them that i have got a regular amount of money coming in from the business. 
    hi debbieo49. i went to the doctors this morning to have a blood test and i asked about my xray the nurse said it was degeneration of my spine. suprise suprise!!!
    hi susielockett. i have seen another shop this morning and the landlord is happy for me to take a 6 term lease but the shop is in a quieter part of town. i am not sure i will take enough money! i don't know what to do but the longer i leave it the worse off i will be as the hmrc will keep refusing my tax credis.
    Hi again deb74, you need to go with your gut. If people know you are there and run a good shop they will come to you. It may be down to how you advertise it. My daughter opened a 'shop' on itsy on here and she finds it good with no overheads. Again it depends on what income you need. Take time to think it over and go for gut instinct. Good luck.
    hi susuielockett. I am setting up a shop on ebay and etsy. if i am going to set up a shop now is the time to do it! i will talk to the landlord again and my employment advisor and take it from there. i need to know what sort of deposit he is looking for before i can say yes.
    hi susielockett. good news! i have got the shop!!! the landlord didn't want a deposit and that was the only real issue about opening the shop. it is all systems go now. i am really excited but a little bit nervous at the same time!
    Hi deb74 what brilliant news for you. Is this the first shop or the second you looked at?
    And no need to be nervous, everything happens for a reason so good lluck
    i have actually looked at 4 shops. the first one the land lord wanted a massive deposit and the second landlord wouldn't let me have a 6 month lease and the 3rd shop had really high business rates.this shop has no business rates which will save me about five thousand pounds.
    Please please could people chat in messages. X

I am a fibrowarrior!
  • jacki8jacki8 Posts: 2Member Listener
    deb74 said:
    at the end of last year i started to have pins and needles in my fingers and they kept going numb. i went to the drs and had a blood test. i was told their was nothing wrong. i put up with it until april when it got worse and my hands started shaking which is very annoying. in the meantime i had changed drs. i was given another blood test and had an xray, the dr thought it was arthritis as i couldn't straighten my fingers and i already have arthritis in my spine and legs. the results came back and i didn't have arthritis in my hands. again i left i finally decided to go back to the dr last week as i am now having lots of pain in my shoulders and arms.finally i have got the answer! i was born with scoliosis as well spina bifida. it turns out my spine is slowly starting to get worse and it is putting pressure on my neck which is causing all the pins and needles and numbness. i have got to go to the hospital for more tests and xrays to see how bad it has got. i am not sure if they will be able to do anything because they have xrayed my spine before and won't operate as they have told me i will walk into the hospital and come out in a wheelchair. 

hi debbieo49
    i have had the results back from my blood test and they came back as normal. i have got an appointment with my dr on thursday and then i have got a nerve conduction test on the 23rd of october. i will let you know what happens
    Good luck

I am a fibrowarrior!
    hi debbiedo49. I have just come back from the drs and i have been told that i might have to have an operation on my spine.(suprise suprise ) i have got to go back to the drs after i have had my tests at the hospital to dicuss what happens next.
    Hi debbiedo49 I have spoken to the dr about my test results and I have got to have an MRI.
    Best wishes, message me if you want a chat x

I am a fibrowarrior!
     debbiedo49. Thanks
    I have got my mri on Friday. hopefully I will find out soon if I need an operation.
Sign in or join us to comment.