Funding to pay for a parking bay? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Funding to pay for a parking bay?

elaine72
elaine72 Community member Posts: 4 Listener
edited September 2018 in Transport and travel
Hi I’m disabled and on high rate mobility and care on pips also  esa , recently given local council flat ground floor but on hill opposite school only on road parking no disabled bays but due to constant traffic of people doing morning, afternoon and evening drop off and collections I am having to resort to parking down on main road at bottom of hill which is unbearable at times to get up  and if I have shopping I have to leave until someone is home , I have been told by council I could have a disabled bay but angry as it’s prices are between £250/£375 is there any charity I could approach of fundings 

Comments

• Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @elaine72
    Welcome to the community

Scope does not give financial assistance or grants, but you may find it helpful to use this online grants search.

Please remember charities and grant-giving trusts rarely give money for things that you could get through, or could be funded by, statutory sources, such as benefits. Please use the online benefits calculator first.

You can search for grants here.

See our grants guides for more information on using this search. You may also find it helpful to read our checklist of information needed to make an enquiry/application to a charitable fund.
    Scope
    Senior online community officer
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,365 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi,
    A disabled bay is great but you won't be the only disabled person that will be allowed to park there. It will be a disabled bay for all disabled badge holders and if the area you live is that busy then there's no guarantee that the bay will be constantly free for you to use it.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • chrisvanf
    chrisvanf Community member Posts: 63 Courageous
    Also @elaine72.
    Just a little add-on from what @poppy123456 said.

Depending on your council's rules you may find that anyone can park in the bay you pay for and not just blue badge holders.
    Edited, re-edited, bits added, bits taken out spellchecked then edited again, 
  • elaine72
    Yes there is two kinds of disabled bays first one is for anyone at the cost of £265. The second is with a id number at £375 I live opposite a school and parking is horrendous, personally I don’t think having disabled parking only will stop parents dropping off children and not parking there 
  • Zebra88
    Zebra88 Community member Posts: 55 Courageous
    Just a suggestion but do you have a garden and if so would it not be cheaper in the long run to have a driveway put in? I live on a busy street and there is nowhere to park but my flat has a garden. I got permission to install a driveway when my partner can drive and we get a car. I dont know if it would help as you would still need to pay for dropped kerb and they could still park and obstruct but most people wouldn't park across your driveway and block you in.
  • elaine72
    Thanks for advice , no garden shared communal only ??

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.