Visually impaired and depression — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Visually impaired and depression

Options
janice1976
janice1976 Community member Posts: 3 Listener
I’ve been visually impaired for nearly a year, I get out and about using a cane, but I get so low as so many people just walk in front of me without seeing my disability and I get so embarrassed as I say in visually impaired and please be careful and give me some space to get around and then I get so many dirty looks and leaves me feeling like I should be stuck inside 

Comments

• Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @janice1976 and welcome to the community! I am so sorry that you feel this way. I too have only recently become visually impaired and use a long cane, I can definetly relate to what you are saying.

Have you thought of having counselling to discuss your visual impairment? I know RNIB offer sessions free of charge that can be online via instant messaging, phone call or Skype. It may also be worth seeing your GP. I hope you continue to use the community and we will support you the best we can. If you feel really low then please do reach out to Samaritans or Mind.

I hope you have a lovely day and please let me know if there is anything else that I can do to help :)
    Scope

• Ami2301
    Ami2301 Community member Posts: 7,942 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Reading your post reminds me of my first year of being visually impaired and how I felt. You shouldn't be stuck inside as you have the same right as everyone else. Over time I have realised there are four stages, Denial, Anger, Emotional and Acceptance. The first 3 can vary for each person but in the end we do accept what is wrong with us and make the best of what we can do :)
    Disability Gamechanger - 2019
  • welshbirdne
    welshbirdne Community member Posts: 24 Listener
    Options
    Aww bless you sweetie.  Some people are just plain ignorant.  Please try and ignore them xxx Here if you need an ear xxx
  • csno01
    csno01 Community member Posts: 390 Pioneering
    Options
    Hi Janice,

I have been visually impaired all my life and I can totally to this.

I didn't become fully aware of my imapirments until I was 18. When I found out, I hit rock bottom. I researched and asked all the questions, although the hardest part was accepting it. I did not start to come to terms with it until my early 30s. 

I still have my down days. You are not alone.
    CSno1
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Thank you for sharing this @csno01, how are you doing today?
    Scope

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.