If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.

Visually impaired and depression

I’ve been visually impaired for nearly a year, I get out and about using a cane, but I get so low as so many people just walk in front of me without seeing my disability and I get so embarrassed as I say in visually impaired and please be careful and give me some space to get around and then I get so many dirty looks and leaves me feeling like I should be stuck inside 

Replies

• Chloe_ScopeChloe_Scope Posts: 1,368Member Chatterbox
    Hi @janice1976 and welcome to the community! I am so sorry that you feel this way. I too have only recently become visually impaired and use a long cane, I can definetly relate to what you are saying.

Have you thought of having counselling to discuss your visual impairment? I know RNIB offer sessions free of charge that can be online via instant messaging, phone call or Skype. It may also be worth seeing your GP. I hope you continue to use the community and we will support you the best we can. If you feel really low then please do reach out to Samaritans or Mind.

I hope you have a lovely day and please let me know if there is anything else that I can do to help :)
  • mikehughescqmikehughescq Posts: 3,160Member Brian Blessed
    Beat me to the punch there @Chloe_Scope:) 

Counselling, or at least having someone to talk to, is vital at this point. That could be formal counselling or joining any forums run by the charity/ire which support your specific VI. Also have a look at who runs Living With Sight Loss courses in your area and book yourself on. Lots of good info and people going through the exact same thing as you. Also read up on the stages of grief. You’ll recognise a lot of that in yourself. 

I would also query what’s going on with the cane. In 2 years I’ve yet to get a dirty look. Shock, late recognition, lots of dramatic swerving (from others, not me) and lots of kind offers of help which I sometimes need and sometimes don’t. Two people have bent my cane; said sorry and walked off leaving me to replace it. Never had a dirty look though so you’ve either been incredibly unlucky or it’s more a reflection of where you are psychologically than what’s actually taking place. People feared for me getting a symbol cane and felt it would make me a target. Far from it. It’s a protection. If it’s not that for you then that’s yelling out at me that you need to meet people like you and get talking. 
  • Ami2301Ami2301 Posts: 3,869Member, Community champion Brian Blessed
    Reading your post reminds me of my first year of being visually impaired and how I felt. You shouldn't be stuck inside as you have the same right as everyone else. Over time I have realised there are four stages, Denial, Anger, Emotional and Acceptance. The first 3 can vary for each person but in the end we do accept what is wrong with us and make the best of what we can do :)
    You're a fighter. Look at everything you've overcome. Don't give up now!
  • welshbirdnewelshbirdne Posts: 24Member Listener
    Aww bless you sweetie.  Some people are just plain ignorant.  Please try and ignore them xxx Here if you need an ear xxx
Sign in or join us to comment.