Universal Credit
If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.
Keep on top of what's being talked about in our recent discussions and have your say!

Do I have to look for work if I have a sick note?

taff50taff50 Member Posts: 2 Listener
edited September 2018 in Universal Credit
Hi everyone.hope I'm in the right place.i am currently suffering with anxiety and depression.have been for the last couple of years.i currently on universal credit.i am covered by a sick note until December.currently waiting for an appeal hearing for the esa element of universal credit.my job coach is telling me I have to look for work.is this right while I have a sick note

Replies

• Ami2301Ami2301 Community champion Posts: 6,838 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @taff50
    Welcome to the community! I am unsure however another member of the community may know the answer and will be in contact with you soon to advise you. Please let us know if there is anything else that we can help you with! :)
    Community Champion
    Disability Gamechanger - 2019
  • jane1973jane1973 Member Posts: 175 Pioneering
    Hi @taff50 when i had my sick note it said i was not to work,  i had to send my sick notes into dwp for a year but was never asked to look for a job as my sick note covered me, maybe there is a bit of confusion somewhere, if you are ill, how can you look for work? Maybe someone on here with more expertise will be along shortly to advise you, try not to worry x
    Hugz to everyone xx
  • poppy123456poppy123456 Community champion Posts: 20,617 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi,

Were you originally claiming ESA and were found fit for work and then claimed UC? If so then you won't be able to go back onto ESA if the Tribunal goes in your favour.

UC is different to ESA and even with a sick/fit note then can make you look for work for a certain amount of hours but it totally depends on your job coach. Some are more understanding than others, and won't reduce the amount of hours you need to do. Have you spoke to your job coach? If not then speak to them and see if they will reduce your hours. Good luck.
    Community champion and proud winner of the 2019 empowering others award. This award was given for supporting disabled people and their families for the benefit advice i have given to members here on the community.
  • BenefitsTrainingCoBenefitsTrainingCo Member Posts: 2,692 Pioneering
    Hi @taff50

Poppy is spot on. It's at the Work Coach's discretion as to whether or not you will be excused from looking for work.

My experience is that generally if you're waiting for a LCW appeal they tend to be being quite understanding, but it sounds like you may be unlucky.

I second the suggestion to go and throw yourself on their mercy (taking evidence with you), but if that fails then also making a complaint, perhaps speaking to your MP may help.

Best of luck with it! Let us know how you're getting on.

Mary
    The Benefits Training Co:
    Paul Bradley
    Michael Chambers
    Will Hadwen
    Sarah Hayle
    Maria Solomon
    David Stickland
  • taff50taff50 Member Posts: 2 Listener
    I got on ok with my job coach.i don't have to look for work.big relief.thanks everyone
Sign in or join us to comment.