PIP Decisions — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

PIP Decisions

Dodster
Dodster Community member Posts: 7 Listener
edited September 2018 in PIP, DLA, and AA
Hi,

My wife has sent in her PIP .claim for and has recieved back DWp decision which no DLA but enhance rate on Mobility, which she agrred with. However when we read the 'My Decision' report it was very confusing, unclear and didn't make any sense at all; it also appear to have a lot of 'Cut & Pasting' which made it very difficult to follow,  and  coud not understand what they were trying to convey. some of their comments were totally wrong.

We call DWP and explained concerns about the report and they said we need to make a Mandatory Reconsideratio, which we did, even though we said we were happy with their decision.

3 weeks later we get reply and they have now taken everything away. it appears that DWP can override a medicailaiiy trained Assessors decision. In their report they said we didn't provide any further evidence, but we didn't think we need too as we only wanted a revised report.

Now we have to go through the Appeal porocess due to the ignorance of DWP.

Ant thoughs please 

Comments

• Yadnad
    Yadnad Posts: 2,856 Disability Gamechanger
    What you have done it seems is to fall into the trap of understanding very little how the PIP system works and what the risks are in asking for a MR.

You are amongst many thousands that just stumble through the whole process. There is very little in the way of independent help for people like you. Yes you can try to access it, but don't be put off if you are told that they are too busy. 
    Not your fault - I'm fairly well educated and held a senior position within the Civil Service at retirement 10 years ago. But when it comes to understanding what or how these benefits work I am lost.

All you can do now is appeal to a Tribunal and hope that they can make sense of the claim.

• markyboy
    markyboy Community member Posts: 367 Pioneering
    That is the risk of asking for a MR they look at the whole award again 
    Your next step is to appeal this can take up to a year to get a hearing but if you win you get a backdated sum so it is worth the wait 
  • Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    How frustrating for you @Dodster
    As @markyboy says the award can go up or down.

We have a video about going to appeal that may help and some information here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=67tDSlsityY

You can get help and support through the CAB and you can call the Scope helpline on 0808 800 3333

Good luck!
    Scope
    Senior online community officer
  • Yadnad
    It is, but obviously it does depend on where you live.

I can only give an example of my area - South East Kent. The Scope map of available services points to three areas, South East London, Colchester in Essex and Brighton.

Looking at the map you will realise that none of these are within a reasonable distance that can be readily attended. At best they are some 90+ miles away and close to at least 90mins by car (which we no longer have as it was returned to Motability)

The local AgeUK and CAB offices are at best extremely difficult to get an appointment in, the former only now offers help to complete forms and to put it mildly, the quality of help and advice at the latter is poor by reference to personal experience.
    I could also mention a local charity - DISK in a neighbouring town - I tried them back in 2011 and what they offered was less than what I knew already.

What else can I say? Yes some people will have good help on their doorsteps whilst others like myself find themselves with little or nothing decent being available. My statement is therefore true and based on my experiences.

• debbiedo49
    debbiedo49 Community member Posts: 2,904 Disability Gamechanger
    edited September 2018
    If you can’t say something  constructive then you shouldn’t say anything in my opinion 
  • debbiedo49
    debbiedo49 Community member Posts: 2,904 Disability Gamechanger
    edited September 2018
    I’m sorry if you think that I’m doing so Scope can delete my comments. There,sorted it 
  • Yadnad
    edited September 2018
    OK in future I will restrict my comments to say that anybody living in South East Kent will find it extremely hard to find any decent advice service within a 90 mile radius!
    That is my experience after looking for it for over the past 7 years and as evidenced by the Scope map of services.

If there ever was a service locally that could be trusted the first thing I would do is seek advice and help with looking at the possibility of claiming Attendance Allowance. As there isn't such a thing, then I can only go by what I read on the net and especially the CAB website which clearly tells me that I am not entitled to that benefit.

• Yadnad
    edited September 2018
    I’m sorry if you think that I’m doing so Scope can delete my comments. There,sorted it 
    Wasn’t having a go at you. Just making sure that @yadnad is not offended by two of us making the same point. 
    Mike I am not offended at all by your comments or those by Debbiedo49.
    After years of being insulted by the UK population during my working life, I have had to adopt an even thicker skin since jumping into the pond inhabited by politicians!!
  • Dodster
    Dodster Community member Posts: 7 Listener
    We received call from DWP today, a couple of weeks after sending the appeal documentions, plus more evidence and a letter from our Doctor. DWP have reviewed all this & have now offered us the Motorbilty aspect and the 'Medium' aspect of DLA, which is great news and a relief.  (I must admit I would like to have been at Tribuial  to heard what the panel would and said about DWP decisions??)

• Yadnad
    Dodster said:
    We received call from DWP today, a couple of weeks after sending the appeal documentions, plus more evidence and a letter from our Doctor. DWP have reviewed all this & have now offered us the Motorbilty aspect and the 'Medium' aspect of DLA, which is great news and a relief.  (I must admit I would like to have been at Tribuial  to heard what the panel would and said about DWP decisions??)

You can. You can take what they are offering you and then re-appeal if you want to. You will lose nothing and have everything to gain.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.