Fibromyalgia and sensory seeking- anybody else? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Fibromyalgia and sensory seeking- anybody else?

Options
butterflyalike1
butterflyalike1 Community member Posts: 3 Listener
Hello everyone I am new to the forum and recently discovered a name for my illness with fibromyalgia. Hope to speak with some of you! 

Comments

• butterflyalike1
    Options
    One thing I have noticed with my fibromyalgia is that when I am physically not doing great, and having a flare, sometimes my brain wants to work up as much as it can. Take in more information, noise. Does anybody else have this? How do you counteract these?
  • butterflyalike1
    Options
    One thing I have noticed with my fibromyalgia is that when I am physically not doing great, and having a flare, sometimes my brain wants to work up as much as it can. Take in more information, noise. Does anybody else have this? How do you counteract these?
    I would describe it as sensory seeking, related to Aspergers. It is when I know I’m on my way to burn out. I just don’t know when and how to stop it.
  • Pippa_Alumni
    Pippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,793 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @butterflyalike1, and welcome!

Thanks for sharing this, that's a really interesting way of describing your fibromyalgia symptoms. We have lots of community members with fibromyalgia, so hopefully you'll be able to connect with others soon. 
  • AlisonNetty
    AlisonNetty Community member Posts: 192 Pioneering
    Options
    I've had Fibro since 2013. I find just trying to get through a day is hard work. I woke up with pain everywhere but as the day goes on it becomes an awful ache that won't go away no matter how many painkillers I take. I get too tired with it. 
  • sarah50
    sarah50 Community member Posts: 119 Pioneering
    Options
    Hi I was finally diagnosed a few years ago it's a long process. I have fibro and ME/ CFS. I sympathise with you just getting the diagnosis was a herculean journey. I have sensitivity/aversion to light and noise and from others I have spoken to this is quite a common symptom. I was asked what my symptoms were by a friend and had to stop after seven or eight as her eyes were glazing over. I don't get all the symptoms all the time but I have some of them most of the time if that makes sense. But pain and fatigue are constant. How do you feel you are treated by GPs?

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.