Universal Credit
If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.
Keep on top of what's being talked about in our recent discussions and have your say!

Universal credit question

DeeDeeMDeeDeeM Member Posts: 5 Listener
hi all

i have a question regarding UC. I currently get ESA and PIP. I’m looking to move and have used my local authorities calculator. It says my area is part of UC and to receive housing benefit I need to apply for UC.

my question is that if I apply for it will there be any change to my ESA/PIP.

thank you

Replies

• poppy123456poppy123456 Community champion Posts: 20,617 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi,

Is the area you're moving to a different local council or the same one as you're living now? If it's different then i'm afraid you'll need to claim UC. Claiming UC for the housing element will mean your ESA will also transfer to UC. PIP isn't included in UC and there will be no change to that.

Council tax reduction also isn't part of UC and needs be claimed separately from your local council.

You'll also need a tenancy agreement to be able to claim the housing element part. First payment of UC takes 6 weeks so be aware of that.

Do you claim any disability premiums on top of your ESA? If you do then these won't be paid under UC.
    Community champion and proud winner of the 2019 empowering others award. This award was given for supporting disabled people and their families for the benefit advice i have given to members here on the community.
Sign in or join us to comment.