Confused by PIP application procedure — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Confused by PIP application procedure

I am in the process of a second claim for conversion from DLA to PIP. The first claim was thrown out and advice was given to me by a well known MH charity that there was no point in taking it to tribunal.

The ATOS assessment is booked for next Monday, however, I have discovered today that no reports have been requested from any of my doctors and psych team. Is this usual? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you for reading

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,365 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi,

They very rarely contact anyone for evidence, the onus is on you to make sure it's sent to support your claim. It's not their responsibility to prove the descriptors apply to you, it's yours. It states on the front of the forms what to send with the form, evidence is one of the things it says to send.

You can take it with you to the assessment but don't be surprised if they refuse to accept it from you on the day. This happens to alot of people but take it with you and at least try to hand it in.

I'm not sure why you were advised not to take your last failed claim to Tribunal. It's always much better to request the MR then Tribunal if that fails, rather than to keep re-applying. When you keep re-applying you may find you're constantly refused. Did you not send evidence the first time you applied either? If you didn't then that may have been why your were refused.

Good luck.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Puzzled_and_scared
    Puzzled_and_scared Community member Posts: 9 Connected
    This I understand, and everything that could be sent was sent this time.

The first time around I was turned down at MR at which point I took advice. I was very unwell when I completed the first application and missed a lot of information.

This time around I feel more confident about the application and the supporting paperwork that was sent with the application paperwork. However, last time, my Drs were contacted before I had the assessment, so I don't understand why this hasn't happened this time.

Thank you for taking a look at my message and for your response
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,365 Disability Gamechanger
    Like i said they very rarely contact anyone. As they contacted people last time doesn't mean they will this time.

Most MR decisions fail but without the MR you can't request the Tribunal. There's a 71% chance of a decision in your favour with a Tribunal and it's always worth going through this.

Good luck with your claim this time and i hope a decision goes in your favour!
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • madcat1966
    madcat1966 Community member Posts: 5 Listener
    Hey puzzled and scared, my Advice to anyone filling out a PIP form, is to go to your local CAB so they can help you complete it correctly INCLUDING assisting you in getting your evidence.... I used to work at the CAB as a debt counsellor but was involved in completing the DLA form..... however all has changed in 10 years AND NOT FOR THE BETTER?!?!?! Good luck flower x

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.