Awarded pip yesterday today Housing benefit suspended due to atlas — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Awarded pip yesterday today Housing benefit suspended due to atlas

Tara2015
Tara2015 Community member Posts: 23 Connected
I got awarded standard rate daily living pip just got the letter yesterday today I have received a letter saying they have received information that may affect my claim and don't want me to end up owing money while they wait for further information then says reason for suspension atlas, could this be to do with being awarded pip or is it something else anyone had this

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,333 Disability Gamechanger
    HI,

It will most likely be the PIP award. Give your local council a ring first thing on Monday morning.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Misscleo
    Misscleo Community member Posts: 647 Pioneering
    After youv called your council.call CAB followed by a call to your mp
    One of them must have some answers for you 
  • poppy123456
    I'm not sure why you would call CAB or your MP about housing benefit stopping. It would have stopped because of the PIP claim but will be restarted. PIP isn't means tested and won't affect housing benefit.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • Yadnad
    Yadnad Posts: 2,856 Disability Gamechanger
    Isn't ATLAS a computer system or software?

• Tara2015
    Yea from what iv read online it says that's what it is and some local authorities just suspend it until they look at your case I didn't think pip was mean tested so didn't think it would affect it and I'm constantly getting letters through out the year for recalculated due to change in circumstances but never totally suspended 
  • Peasmold_01
    Peasmold_01 Community member Posts: 144 Pioneering
    edited September 2018
    PIP both elements are not means tested. They have no effect upon Housing Benefit, Council Tax benefit, or any other Social Security payments. To hammer the point home, PIP or DLA will have no effect, even if you apply to have Court Fees remitted. Call your council and ask why your benefit has been suspended, if they quote PIP, tell them to go away and look at the legislation. It is absolutely clear, PIP. both elements are excluded from all other Social Security and Housing Benefits. The reason. It is not classed as 'income.'
  • Tara2015
    Just called the hb office his first words after giving my reference number, have you just been awarded pip? He said they now have a direct link that gets sent to atlas and they suspend it for them to look at it and see if your entitled to disability element reduction said it should be sorted this week and backdated so nothing to worry about, thanks all for your info 
  • poppy123456
    I'm not sure who atlas is and as far as i know has nothing to do with housing benefit. A PIP award can increase housing benefit yes but it totally depends on your circumstances.
  • Tara2015
    Atlas is a computer system rolled out by dwp to let hb know any changes if you Google it it gives more information but there's been new rule changes apparently and every council is dealing with it differently mine is one that suspends but not all do this
  • Yadnad
    Yadnad Posts: 2,856 Disability Gamechanger
    Tara2015 said:
    Atlas is a computer system rolled out by dwp to let hb know any changes if you Google it it gives more information but there's been new rule changes apparently and every council is dealing with it differently mine is one that suspends but not all do this
    Most councils suspend for any change. Better that way than risking having an overpayment of benefit. Likewise for those on ESA and failing the assessment and claiming housing benefit the council is more than likely to suspend even though you are having to live off less money!
  • sarah50
    sarah50 Community member Posts: 119 Pioneering
    This is very scary, I have just had pip stopped but am going for a MR I have been told that my husbands carers allowance will stop does this mean they will stop my HB and ESA while I go through this process?
  • poppy123456
    sarah50 said:
    This is very scary, I have just had pip stopped but am going for a MR I have been told that my husbands carers allowance will stop does this mean they will stop my HB and ESA while I go through this process?
    PIP has nothing to do with ESA unless you were claiming the severe disability premium, which you weren't because you live with your husband. So no ESA won't stop but they may suspend your HB but it will restart.
  • Tara2015
    Hi Sarah 50 I won't be much help as Im new to all this but I'm sure someone will come along,from what I had read online pip did not affect they had no contact with them etc, so I was dreading phoning today wondering what it could be but as soon as I gave my ref number the man asked have you just been awarded pip which I had on the Friday then said dwp send it through this system atlas and it would be reinstated by the end of the week as they didn't have back log then said you be better off whatever that means, the only thing I would say is I would contact them let them know the situation and get ahead of it so you don't end up owing them money on top of all of this they must have some way of helping if yous don't have any income years ago my hours increased by 3.5 hours at work  only for 3 months I didn't realise I had to inform them and ended up owing them 638 which ment although I had been awarded hb they took it off and I had to come up with the money, hope someone can put your mind at ease a bit better I would also say visit your local cab I'm also doing an MR and as soon as I sat down the woman asked if this was causing hardship with bills and did I need food bank stamps I didn't but thaught that was really great they offerd to help xx
  • Tara2015
    And also if you get it reinstated they will back date it to when it stopped 

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.