From DLA to 0 PIP points — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

From DLA to 0 PIP points

Options
Polly37
Polly37 Community member Posts: 1 Listener
edited October 2018 in PIP, DLA, and AA
Hi this is my first visit to any kind of online group I am desperately seeking help I have been on disability living allowance for over 20years and had to apply for pip I filled in the form myself (big mistake) a assessor visited me at home and he awarded me 0 points.l suffer from ischemic heart disease, cold,diabetics,chronic depression,fibromyalgia,arthritis,I've and me/chronic fatigue syndrome.I've been to the citizens advice and they have given me another form to fill in .and I just don't know what to do or were to turn.can anyone please help me.

Comments

• Pippa_Alumni
    Pippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,793 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @Polly37, and a warm welcome to the community!

So sorry to hear about your PIP outcome, that must have been really frustrating for you. What was the form you were given to fill in?

Usually the first step in appealing a PIP decision is to do a mandatory reconsideration. You can find more information about this process on Scope's website, and in the video below. Have a look, and do come back to us with any questions. The appeals process can feel overwhelming, but we have lots of friendly members and advisors who can help!

https://youtu.be/4sOsiEFo-Ck

• Ask DWP to look at the decision again – this is called a mandatory reconsideration.
    • It's best to do this in writing and give reasons why you disagree. The address to write to is on the decision letter you have received.
    • You must do this within a month of the date of the original decision.

• thespiceman
    thespiceman Community member Posts: 6,388 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hello @Polly37 Pleased to meet you welcome. Thank you for joining and sharing.

Sorry what has happened. The CAB have they told you to appeal.

This is what you need to do. Have a look at our benefit advice and information on PIP. Called a Mandatory Reconsideration.  Includes a lot of information, advice plus comments from our community members.  Also appeals and other related advice and information. Something to consider.

To reassure you are not alone. Understanding the benefit system is complex and confusing.  I know this has been all a shock and always aware of information overload to yourself.  Get the right information and the correct advice is what is important now.

You have done nothing wrong may I add. I myself filled in the forms all those years ago. Yet now use CAB or health worker or support worker.

Asking for help and advice is never easy. I am always saying consider myself a smart gentleman with a disability and mental health.

Yet cannot and never can understand the complexities of the system and the benefits.  Had two pleasant ladies from CAB help my form filling in.

All I can say we are a friendly community. Be strong much as you can be. Remember this is I know upsetting and also emotional this result you have had. Trust me I have been there so many times as many of the community.

Please can I ask do you have any one to talk to or have any support. Could be a friend or a family member. If not we as a community are here to listen anytime.

Please take care and please ask about anything we can advise on.

Best wishes to you.

@thespiceman
    Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
    Recipes
  • Matilda
    Matilda Community member Posts: 2,593 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    @Polly37

Don't worry too much as many people have gone from 0 points after assessment to enhanced after tribunal.

PIP is awarded for how your conditions affect your daily living and mobility not for the conditions themselves.  You have to show how your disabilities fit relevant descriptors.  Take a look at the list of descriptors on Disabilty Rights UK site.

To get points at all usually you have to use aids.  Also you might need someone to help you complete tasks.   And if you can't complete an activity reliably, that is safely, to an acceptable standard, in a reasonable time and repeatedly, then that means you can't complete the activity at all.
  • Yadnad
    Yadnad Posts: 2,856 Disability Gamechanger
    edited October 2018
    Options
    Polly37 said:
    Hi this is my first visit to any kind of online group I am desperately seeking help I have been on disability living allowance for over 20years and had to apply for pip I filled in the form myself (big mistake) a assessor visited me at home and he awarded me 0 points.l suffer from ischemic heart disease, cold,diabetics,chronic depression,fibromyalgia,arthritis,I've and me/chronic fatigue syndrome.I've been to the citizens advice and they have given me another form to fill in .and I just don't know what to do or were to turn.can anyone please help me.
    I had the same after being on DLA since 1995 with an indefinite High Mobility & Care. I too had 0 points on transfer to PIP, After the MR it went up to Enhanced Mobility & Care.
    This happened again two years later - 0 points to Enhanced for both after a MR. 
    A third re-assessment two years later the same thing again - 0 points. This time they kept it at that after the MR.I didn't pursue it any further as the system was making me ill.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.