SPICEMANS ONE PAN PORK RAGU — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

SPICEMANS ONE PAN PORK RAGU

Options
thespiceman
thespiceman Community member Posts: 6,388 Disability Gamechanger
Hello everybody feeling hungry what to eat tonight how about this amazing aromatic one pan Pork using Shoulder of Pork Steaks.  Pork Shoulder steaks are a cheap cut of Pork. .  Need to be cooked long and slow.

Easy and simple.  Cheap as well plus an introduction to Spices and using Tinned Pulses.

You will need the following Food processor with slicer attachment and blade for making the sauce. Use Blender if you wish for the Sauce and use knife to chop everything. Trying to make it easy for everyone.

One large Sauté Pan.  With tight fitting lid.
Bowls, Hot water from a kettle.
Spoons to use for Vegetables and sauce.
Colander for draining beans.  Washing Carrots and Celery.  Baby Potatoes.

INGREDIENTS.

Pack of Pork Shoulder Steaks two per person.

Onions, Celery, Carrots, I used two of each for myself.   Wash rinse if too dirty take of ends and peel. Sliced using food processor slicer or diced up.
Baby potatoes enough for each person  Wash . Diced up if too big.
Carton Passata
Stock Chicken half a pint or adjust.
Spices 1teaspoon of each
Cinnamon, Ground Coriander, Garlic Powder.
Herbs 1 teaspoon of each Dried Sage, Fennel Seeds, Rosemary, 
Black pepper, 1 teaspoon .
Dash of Worcester, Red Wine Vinegar.
Tomato Puree, Tomato Ketchup 1 teaspoon of each or a teaspoon of sugar.
Tins Cannellini , Butter Beans drained. I use half for myself.  For more people add more.
Olive oil.

METHOD

Diced up Vegetables.  Onions, Carrots, Celery. Baby Potatoes just dice if too big. or use Food processor slicer.

Remove to a bowl easy to tip into the large Sauté Pan.

The empty Food processor. Add the ingredients for the sauce.  Add Carton Passata, adjust add half and then add the rest. Depends how big the Food Processor is.  Add stock again adjust as before.  Add Spices, Herbs, Tomato puree, Tomato Ketchup, or sugar.  Dash of Worcester, Red wine vinegar.  Add in hot water kettle boil just to help with the stock dissolve.  Also helps the Spices and Herbs to be activated and causes them to be scented and aromatic..

Add portion of sauce to a bowl for easy removing into Sauté Pan.

CAREFUL HERE HOT WATER IN A BLENDER OR FOOD PROCESSOR WILL CAUSE PRESSURE TO BUILD SO BE CAREFUL. NEED A DASH OF HOT WATER.

Fry Pork Steaks in Olive oil in a large wide Sauté Pan.  On a medium heat. Halfway turn over and just seal remove to a plate.

From the bowl with the Vegetables tip in with the portions of the sauce will not use all. Use a ladle or spoons to put in.

Add back in Pork Shoulder Steaks on the Vegetables.  Leave on a boil then a simmer for a long time about an hour or longer.

Check every half hour . If need to stir and add back lid.

At the end around last ten minutes or so. Add Tinned Pulses. To stir in.

For last ten minutes more check for taste. Pork Steaks should pull away from the bone.

Serve.

Any sauce left over with Vegetables and Beans add as a Soup with other Vegetables or use with another cut of meat. I use this with Chicken Thighs.  As above same methods.

I do not tend to season my meat as it is covered by the sauce with seasonings in it. If you wish to do that please do.

This White Bean Ragu is ideal for the Autumn Winter days. Add alternative to with Potatoes and Peppers.

Very good with any cuts of meat   Cheap cuts.  Long and slow, could use slow cooker.

Bueno Appetito.

@thespiceman

Community Champion
SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
Recipes

Comments

• Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I love your recipes @thespiceman :) 

I use my slow cooker a lot as it's a great way to ensure we have a good meal at the end of a long work day or a day where I feel unwell. The BBC have some great slow cooker recipes here.
    Scope
    Senior online community officer
  • thespiceman
    thespiceman Community member Posts: 6,388 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hello @Sam_Scope Thanks for the kind words and information.

Making you hungry again. Hope your feeling great.

I do have a slow cooker but this the alternative make some thing and leave it just check it periodically .

The problem for me with slow cookers put them on in the morning and have had what is happening, realised not added any or enough liquid or not even switched it on once.

With this no need. I know was shown this many years ago and by Italians who else.

Most of them make something leave on the stove to blip away. Bolognese works like that.

My favourite one Ragu style sauce. Tasty and freezer friendly able do that one later maybe.

What amuses me was many of my Italian friends had ovens but use them for storage of pans and cookware. Not used to oven just use stove.

I will check this out B.B.C website thanks very much.

Pleasure to talk to you.

@thespiceman
    Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
    Recipes

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.