Disabled Persons Trust & Guardian Role — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Disabled Persons Trust & Guardian Role

gladys
gladys Community member Posts: 53 Courageous
hi there . I am about to meet with a lawyer to set up a Disabled Person Trust for my son . The charge for setting up a will / the Trust / and Expression of Wishes is £1800 . This is a quality legal company , but I want to find out if this is an appropriate amount or extortionate . 
Also I want to find out about the role of a Guardian or having a panel of interested parties rather than just one person . Can anyone at all point me in the right direction ? Many thanks , Emna 

Comments

• Pippa_Alumni
    Pippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,793 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @gladys, I'm not sure of the answer to this myself, but perhaps Carers UK will know somebody who can help? Here's their help and advice line.
    You can email us or contact us and we will respond to your enquiries within 5 working days, although it can often be sooner.
    Our telephone helpline providing information is open on Mondays and Tuesday between 10am and 4pm - 0808 808 7777

• atlas46
    atlas46 Community member Posts: 826 Pioneering
    Hi @gladys

I would suggest that £1,800 is a reasonable price for the legal advice you seek (£200 per hour for nine hours work).

You could seek further quotes, from other solicitors.

The most important aspect, is what is best for both you and your son.

Setting up matters like you seek are very important to you both.
  • gladys
    gladys Community member Posts: 53 Courageous
    Thanks for that view Atlas . I could research how much other lawyers charge , but have limited time and maybe not worth it just to save a couple of hundred quid !! 

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.