I'm a full-time OAP unpaid carer — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

I'm a full-time OAP unpaid carer

Options
Tarbatness
Tarbatness Community member Posts: 17 Connected
Hello, I`m a full-time OAP unpaid carer, tending to the caring needs of a friend and have been doing this since my friend first became disabled, in 2006, through being attacked at work and shortly after having a massive allergic reaction to a pneumonia injection. The effects of these incidents resulted in my friend being medically retired from work and being diagnosed with Complex Regional Pain Syndrome, Fibromyalgia, Chronic Fatigue Syndrome/ME, amongst other illnesses..In 2011, my friend suffered a basilar tip aneurysm (brain aneurysm) which  meant several days in Intensive Care, followed by weeks in hospital. Up till then I had been working nights, doing some 50 hours a week and caring for about 60 hours a week during the day. Upon my friends release from hospital, with far more serious mental and physical disabilities, I took early retirement from work, in order to spend more time in my caring role - 100+ hours a week, which I`ve been doing since (2012). In 2014, my friend suffered a stroke and in 2015 was diagnosed with Type 2 Diabetes.  

On call 24/7, I sometimes get called out during the night, but tend to get up around 7 am, take the dogs out, put the washer on, have a coffee or two and check my emails etc. Then each day unfolds differently, no guarantee on what how things will progress, but it usually means I`m kept busy up till midnight, when I finally get to bed ! 

Comments

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.