Pharmacy issues with pain medication — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Pharmacy issues with pain medication

Options
Dara2000
Dara2000 Community member Posts: 3 Listener
Ok, so about 3 1/2 weeks ago I was literally thrown to the wolves when I unwittingly accepted a partial fill of my script, as the pharmacy only had 15 of my 120 pain pills. Since the new law requires me to wait the full 30 days before filling my script, there is no extra medication left if something happens. You are completely out when it’s time for your fill. I naively thought my doc would just call in a new script for the remainder when his office opened on Monday. I had done this once before with a different medication/ doctor, with no problem. After 10 years of being a patient with absolutely no problems whatsoever I was told oh well you voided your script by excepting the 15 and you can’t have anymore for the rest of the month when I ask what I was supposed to do as you can’t just stop taking pain meds I was told if you go into withdrawals go to the emergency room? I couldn’t believe they could just do that to someone so anyway I have made do because I have wonderful friends and family that have helped me out. However my next appointment is coming very soon and I don’t know what I’m supposed to tell them I have been doing to make do. I know I can’t tell them that I took someone else’s pain meds to hold me over I also know if I tell them I didn’t take anything they will think well then you just don’t need them anymore, which TRUST ME I DO! I Feel like I’m between a rock and a hard place any advice would be appreciated!
thanks!

Comments

• Ami2301
    Ami2301 Community member Posts: 7,942 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @Dara2000 welcome to the community!

Sorry to hear you're facing a tricky situation. I think it would be for the best if you were to be honest with your GP, tell them what the pharmacy had said which left you worried about what to do. If you tell them that you just made do with the 15 then like you said, he probably will review your medication.

Let us know how you get on :)
    Disability Gamechanger - 2019
  • Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @Dara2000

I have accepted smaller prescriptions before when the pharmacy couldnt fill the whole thing and always just been able to collect the rest when they were in.

Have you spoke to the pharmacy? Its not about getting a new prescription but them filling the whole of the last one.

Let us know how you get on!
    Scope
    Senior online community officer
  • Steve_in_The_City
    Steve_in_The_City Scope Member Posts: 562 Pioneering
    Options
    Hi @Dara2000 I think what @Sam_Alumni said is correct. My pharmacy sometimes fail to give me my full amount of medications and sometimes haven't got any at all. They give me a sort of I owe you note and tell me to come back in a few days time. So I think it is the case that your pharmacy should fulfill your script without you needing to see your GP.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,202 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @Dara2000 I think what @Sam_Alumni said is correct. My pharmacy sometimes fail to give me my full amount of medications and sometimes haven't got any at all. They give me a sort of I owe you note and tell me to come back in a few days time. So I think it is the case that your pharmacy should fulfill your script without you needing to see your GP.

This thread is 4 years old so hopefully the OP has now sorted the issues they had.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.