Asking for help — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Asking for help

cracker
cracker Community member Posts: 324 Pioneering
A friend took me today to see a play. The drive to the theater was an hour, the play lasted two more hours. Sitting that long hurt. I also realized I could not ascend or descend the stairs alone. I had to ask a man to lend me an arm up and down.

He was so nice about it, but I felt terribly ashamed that I could not take the stairs without help.
Is anyone else ashamed at having to ask for help in public?

Comments

• Ami2301
    Ami2301 Community member Posts: 7,942 Disability Gamechanger
    I know it can be daunting asking for help in public but majority are kind enough to help. I remember when I kept going to London for tests, me and my mum would travel on the train, sometimes there was nobody about to put the ramp out for me as I was in wheelchair, a few strong men helped my mum carry me from the train to the platform.
    Disability Gamechanger - 2019
  • jade54
    jade54 Community member Posts: 10 Connected
    I'm awful i constantly apologise as I feel I get in the way. 
    But in my heart I know it's the other way. It seems wheelchairs are invisible. 
    I find the older generation very helpful and understanding.
  • Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @cracker
    I am so sorry to hear you feel ashamed by asking for help, I do understand that it can be really hard to be unable to do a certain thing yourself but I think most people are nice and want to help.

What play did you go and see? Did you enjoy it?
    Scope
    Senior online community officer
  • cracker
    Witness to the Prosecution. Actually, neither my friend or I enjoyed it: with the intermission, it last 2-1/2 hours and moved very slowly.. We were glad when it ended.

We were both disappointed, as we usually love plays. The next one will be better
  • cracker
    I thought about it again. Part o;f it was shame, yes, but a good half was being frightened at my lack of strength and mobility. Had there been no one there to help me, I could not gotten out of the theatre. 

Thank you all for your understanding.
  • Sue52
    Sue52 Community member Posts: 78 Courageous
    Hi @cracker Please do not ever feel ashamed for asking for help. I now work for the community and every day I have to ask colleagues for help. ( I explained my circumstances). They understand that there is always someone that needs that helping hand. There is no shame in disability 
    take care 
    xx
  • cracker
    Thank you, @Sue. I reflected a bit more and realized that I am always happy to help anyone else. Asking for help felt like relinquishing my independence. I must remember that everyone is inter-dependent. I was raised never to ask for help, lest people think me weak.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.