Rent Enquiry — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Rent Enquiry

ThePeterHeap
ThePeterHeap Community member Posts: 2 Listener
Hi everyone,

I'm new to Scope and I'm wondering if anyone can help me please?

You see my mother's Universal Credit housing element has been reduced by £72.16 a month because I have turned 21 and I'm a 'non-dependant'.

This has caused my mother to accrue rent arrears, which wouldn't have occurred if they didn't drop the rent amount by the amount above.

I am claiming Universal Credit myself and my mother has been told that I can claim some housing element to make up the amount that's missing in the housing costs.

However as the housing association won't put my name on the tenancy agreement, Universal Credit are unable to pay out any money whatsoever for me unless my name is specifically put on a new tenancy agreement, which they should be drawing up as we are more than 12 months into the tenancy/property.

I'm unsure what to do now and my health is bad also. I suffer with severe depression and anxiety and even take medication too for it.

Kind regards,
Peter Heap

Comments

• medwaymum
    medwaymum Community member Posts: 9 Connected
    edited October 2018
    The housing landlord has to put your name on as I had to do this with my daughter who is 32 ,if you are told by your landlord that they wont I would seek advice from CAB who can advice you of your rights ,Hope it gets sorted.
  • ThePeterHeap
    ThePeterHeap Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    medwaymum said:
    The housing landlord has to put your name on as I had to do this with my daughter who is 32 ,if you are told by your landlord that they wont I would seek advice from CAB who can advice you of your rights ,Hope it gets sorted.
    Thank you for replying to me.

Even I thought the housing association has to draw up a new tenancy agreement with my name on there too.

I will be getting some legal advice from CAB as the housing association don't seem to understand the severity of this issue.

Do they know that the money I will receive from Universal Credit will cover the amount which my mother's housing element won't cover? Clearly not.

I'm going to take this further and will eventually get this sorted out.

Kind regards,
    Peter Heap
  • BenefitsTrainingCo
    BenefitsTrainingCo Community member Posts: 2,621 Pioneering
    Hi Peter,

Unfortunately the Housing Association are not under an obligation to put your name on the tenancy, and will normally only do so unless they think you would be an appropriate tenant (as it gives you rights to the property and power over ending the tenancy etc).

The rule about non-dependent deductions is about the same as it has always been under Housing Benefit, the only difference is that with UC it starts earlier (at age 21 rather than 25).

Unfortunately the normal solution is that the shortfall is paid out of your benefits - the idea being that you do not have to pay household costs (gas/electric/water/etc) and so can afford to contribute to the rent.

Hope this helps clarify.

Mary
    The Benefits Training Co:

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.