bath to shower conversion — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

bath to shower conversion

pjohng
pjohng Community member Posts: 3 Listener
Dear Jean
We live in an housing association property, my wife has disabilities but at present I do not.
About one year ago my wife had an assessment by social services which concluded that our very small bathroom should be converted to a wet room. Our bathroom measures 2x1m. Their assessment of cost meant that we would have to pa £4000 towards this conversion. Because we have a small amount of savings, which we are holding for end of life needs. Paying this amount would have left us little in reserve. So we refused the assessment. My wife has now been diagnosed with Parkinson's and her mobility has decreased even more. I once again approached the H/A and asked If we could convert the bath to a shower cubicle (self paid) cheaper option however they said we must be reassessed by an OT in order to request this. I approached social care and they said there is a 3 month waiting time. Do you think they will agree to this.
Thank you 

Comments

• AlexandriaUK
    AlexandriaUK Community member Posts: 40 Courageous
    Sorry  to here your wife's  health has deteriated
    I can't see why not if your willing to pay for the job to be done yourself, have you considered a walk in bath or an electric seat.
    Both a much cheaper option and leaves the bath still useable.
  • Jean_OT
    Jean_OT Community member Posts: 513 Pioneering
    Hi @pjohng

I think the best strategy is to have a frank conversation with the OT about your budget and your wife's needs.

If what you and your wife would prefer is a shower cubicle (presumably with low level access and a shower seat) tell the OT that. If the OT thinks that this option will be safe and meet your wife's hygiene needs then she is likely to endorse it. However, she is likely to also state what she has assessed as being the best option (i.e. a wetroom) for meeting your wife's needs in the longer term. 

As AlexandriaUK has pointed out above there may also be other solutions to meeting your wife's needs but the OT is the best person to advise you on these and how compatible they are with your wife's diagnosis and prognosis.

Best Wishes
    Jean

Jean Merrilees BSc MRCOT

You can read more of my posts at: https://community.scope.org.uk/categories/ask-an-occupational-therapist

• pjohng
    Thank you Jean and Alexandria. It sounds like good sense to me.Problem right now is getting to see an O/T there is a 12 week waiting time we have been told.
  • Jean_OT
    Jean_OT Community member Posts: 513 Pioneering
    If your GP believes that your wife's needs for assessment are more urgent they may be willing to contact the Community OT team on your behalf to request that you are seen sooner, this sometimes helps but not always.

Also if you have the means and don't want to wait you could commission a report from a private OT: https://www.rcotss-ip.org.uk/find  although it would be sensible to check with your HA that they would be willing to accept a report from a source other than the community OT team.

Best Wishes
    Jean

Jean Merrilees BSc MRCOT

You can read more of my posts at: https://community.scope.org.uk/categories/ask-an-occupational-therapist

• pjohng
    Thanks so much. We contacted an O/T Privately who has now said she will provide the HA with the relevant info. Just hope they accept this. Thanks again for your help.
    John

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.