have they broken Equality Act 2010 — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

have they broken Equality Act 2010

Options
murphy10
murphy10 Community member Posts: 9 Listener
Hi
I applied for C- ESA and was awarded this after 32 years employment. 
It was agreed by DWP alternative format Team in Birkinhead that all communication would be in email format. This is due to my disabilities, learning, physical amd mental health disabilities.
I use dragon software which is voice recognition software which allows me to voice type.
Due to chronic pain each day.
I was sent my award letter, 1 page.
I requested a copy of DWP Doctors home assessment be typed for me as i cannot read his report, it is illegible.
DWP state
ALTERNATIVE FORMAT 

DWP BIRKENHEAD BA Alternative Formats SPOC TEAM <BIRKENHEADBA.ALTERNATIVEFORMATSSPOCTEAM@dwp.gsi.gov.uk>

Fri 17 Aug, 16:01
to me

E-Mail : 15 August 2018 @ 13:00

Dear Mr 

We refer to your above E-Mail, and note all you say.

For completeness we note that the PDF of “Med-Reports” sent to you on  comprised 40 pages of forms / report; completed by hand by Dr.  J Hussain.

Enquiries have been made on your behalf and note that Dr. J.  Hussain made a domiciliary visit to your home on 25th June 2018, following your specific request.

As is the standard DWP/ CHDA  practice, he completed the report in hand writing as he did not have access to his computer at your home.

We note that you have been placed in the support group following that examination.

We regret that on this occasion we cannot be of any further assistance.

Regards

Department of Work and Pensions
Alternative Formats Team
Birkenhead Service Centre

My Question is this have they broken Equality Act 2010, any advice appreciated and if anyone knows of  a solicitor who would take on the case please let me know, Kind Regards J

Comments

• Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @murphy10

Just to clarify, you would like a typed copy of your Home Assessment and they say they cannot offer that?
    Scope
    Senior online community officer
  • murphy10
    murphy10 Community member Posts: 9 Listener
    Options
    Hi yes DWP ignore my request!
    Thanks in advance
    J
  • Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I found this Review for the DWP of alternative format communications that is interesting as it shows that they have considered this but in many cases it seems they are not delivering accessible communications for lots of people.

Also here is their own guidance on accessible communications.
    Scope
    Senior online community officer
  • axwy62
    axwy62 Community member Posts: 142 Pioneering
    Options
    I think the question is whether providing you with a typed copy of the report would be a reasonable adjustment as required by the Equality Act, the key word being 'reasonable'. Unfortunately reasonable is not defined in the legislation and is very dependant on context. 

If the report really does comprise 40 pages, then it would obviously take quite a long time to transcribe and type. I doubt DWP employ anyone who does that type of work so they would probably have to pay an outside agency to do it, similar to the people the Courts use to provide transcripts of hearings. I have no direct knowledge of the cost of such a service but I suspect it would be expensive. On balance, it may well be that providing a transcript of a 40 page report is not reasonable in these circumstances, particularly as you don't appear to need to appeal for example. 

What do you want the transcript for? Do you need a transcript of all 40 pages or could you ask them to transcribe specific parts of the report, for example the points awarded for each descriptor or the prognosis? That might be a compromise which both you and DWP are able to accept. 

• atlas46
    atlas46 Community member Posts: 826 Pioneering
    Options
    Hi

Might it be that like you, they cannot read the Dr's hand writing?

Have you asked some one else, to try and read the report, on your behalf?

You could contact the Equalities Commision for their advice, that would send a warning shot to DWP.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.